[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Me 88 Resteal In Bb!

• bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Villian was semi-agressive. He had a 20% PFR statistic.

An interesting hand that happened earlier was him re-raising the SB's $0.30 open raise to about $1 and then the SB 3-betting to about $2.10 and he folded, I presume he was making that re-raise weak.

This guy also has the tendency to c-bet.

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players

BTN: $8.35
      SB: $11.55
      Hero (BB): $13.25
      UTG: $9.85
      MP: $10.30
      CO: $13.75

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with 8 :spade: 8 :heart:
      1 fold, MP raises to $0.35, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1, MP raises to $2.30, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($4.65) 4 :heart: A :diamond: 4 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.75, MP calls $2.75

Turn: ($10.15) 5 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $5.25 all in, Hero folds
  • 6 replies
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      i think you can set mine here and just call pre, if he folds to 3 bets then the 3bet is ok though, I don't like calling his 4bet, because you're folding to most flops you're giving away that call
    • EgertS
      EgertS
      Bronze
      call 0.35c pre. if you make a 3-bet and villain 4-bets you, then its snapfold. the fold is even easier considering you are OOP.
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Calling oop against a loose player to set mine... it's bad and it's a serious leak, especially once you start moving up to NL25 and higher so don't do it and just 3bet this against a loosish player. So I like your pre-flop play up to that point except for your 3bet size being too small. Oop you should make your 3bets around 3.5x the open raise size.
      Against $0.30 you should make it $1 IP, $1.1 OOP.
      Against $0.35, make it $1 to $1.1 IP en $1.2 OOP.
      Against $0.40, make it $1.2 IP en $1.4 OOP.

When he 4bets you SNAPFOLD!!! Why are you calling? You're set mining 7.9:1 and you're oop. Flatting oop against a 4bet 100bb deep... seriously?

And then you call another bet on the flop... you know every single hand that did not have you beat pre-flop (just AK pretty much) has you crushed now?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Mstlc
      Calling oop against a loose player to set mine... it's bad and it's a serious leak, especially once you start moving up to NL25 and higher so don't do it and just 3bet this against a loosish player. So I like your pre-flop play up to that point except for your 3bet size being too small. Oop you should make your 3bets around 3.5x the open raise size.
      Against $0.30 you should make it $1 IP, $1.1 OOP.
      Against $0.35, make it $1 to $1.1 IP en $1.2 OOP.
      Against $0.40, make it $1.2 IP en $1.4 OOP.

When he 4bets you SNAPFOLD!!! Why are you calling? You're set mining 7.9:1 and you're oop. Flatting oop against a 4bet 100bb deep... seriously?

And then you call another bet on the flop... you know every single hand that did not have you beat pre-flop (just AK pretty much) has you crushed now?
      Mstlc is right tho it could have been said more smoothly :p

I somewhat disagree with the preflop setmining being wrong at nl10 tho. It's not that common for your opponent to be barreling so often postflop that you can't get your middle pair to showdown even out of position since they also suck at valuebetting. I still prefer calling over 3-betting until I know more about villain, namely that I can play 88 in 3-bet pots without it being a nightmare or that he showed me he'll barrel postflop often enough to make it tough to see a showdown with those hands out of position.

When you don't have a good handle on how your "somewhat" aggressive villain plays, you actually risk putting yourself in even more trouble by 3-betting. He'll call with a range you know nothing about, maybe planning on pulling some moves on you maybe not. So you 3-bet, flop comes at least 1 overcard very often, now what? Either you check/guess or you c-bet/fold which turns your hand into basically a 2-outing bluff when called. Villain might call the c-bet just to see if you're serious and then you're left on the turn with only bad options, in a pot way bigger than it would have been if you just called preflop. You're just creating a lot of passive dead money against people who are capable of not playing fit-or-fold postflop.

When villain 4-bets calling is the worst option out of position. Folding is probably the best option, followed by shoving if you think villain is a 4-bet monkey.

Hope it helps.
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the replies, I'm learning to think about things from different points of views.

The reason I called the 4bet was because it was because I was getting 1 to 2.5 and I didn't want the table to think I was 3betting so light that I had to fold to such small raises. So I made the call to preserve image plus figuring if I did hit my set I would get the rest of his $8 and if I didn't I could still win with some decent boards.

@Msltc: thx for the reply, I definately wouldn't call a bet on that flop, but I was actually the one who led out trying to represent the Ace he hopefully didn't have.
    • EgertS
      EgertS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bigdwong

The reason I called the 4bet was because it was because I was getting 1 to 2.5
      if I remember right, hitting a set on the flop was 1 out of 7 or 8. so getting odds 1:2,5 certainly will not do.