Cash games or S'n'Gs for beginners?

• DomenViBritannia
      DomenViBritannia
      Bronze
      Hello there!

I am quite new to poker, since I have been playing for a few weeks live now, and a week or so online at full tilt poker.

I have been involved with poker for a few years now, but never really started playing it more seriously.

Now I began playing Sit and goes, obviously at the lowest stake which is $1,20 and I have had some ups and downs obviously but am now +10$ up, thus $60 with the starting capital.

I am wondering if I should switch to cash games, stay with Sit and Goes or just do both with a little of rush poker?

Thank you for your answers,

DomenVi
  • 3 replies
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Start cash tables gradually, they are harder then SNG's, since there are more factors involved, first one table only then go adding more tables as you become better at getting reads .. and when you actually begin to make money.

As to SNG, you will be just fine as a beginner just following the TAG strategy and starting charts you have here at Pokerstrategy. SNG is more mechanical in the way of play.

Good luck at the tables!!
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alenstrat
      Start cash tables gradually, they are harder then SNG's, since there are more factors involved, first one table only then go adding more tables as you become better at getting reads .. and when you actually begin to make money.

As to SNG, you will be just fine as a beginner just following the TAG strategy and starting charts you have here at Pokerstrategy. SNG is more mechanical in the way of play.

Good luck at the tables!!
      If SnGs are easier than CGs, why doesn't everyone play SnGs then? Why bother playing CG if SnG is easier? Doesn't that logic suggest playing SnGs is better for beginners?

The best answer to "what should I play?" is "whatever u enjoy playing and learning about." It's absolutely pointless to look for shortcuts at poker as that search usually ends in busted bankrolls. Playing winning poker isn't easy.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Good answer, yeah I was probably talking a lot about myself. I guess it depends on the player .. some have the psychological or whatever make up for SNG and other for cash games, I guess all have to experiment with both and determine where you're comfortable.

I do think that playing a mix of both sharpens your skills, since you see different stuff in each type of game.