Waiting to check your holecards

• Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Why is everybody on TV doing this? When the action reaches them then they check their hole cards.

Why don't they just check it when they get the cards?

It's a rule in live poker games? Or for TV? Or is just -EV to waist time looking at your own cards instead of observing the reactions of your opponents when they see their hand.

It's strange because everybody does it on TV and I have to ask the question.
  • 7 replies
    • Dur73
      Dur73
      Bronze
      I can't remember which book i read it in, but i read that a clear way to spot the fish is an eager player that looks at his cards right away. The players on TV are most likely professionals that are observing the people around then for any tells they can pick up on their opponents. If you can pick up these tells preflop your already ahead of the game. Just my 0.02c
      Bronze
      It is hard to show any emotion over those AA you are holding in mid to late position if you
      do not know you have them yet untill it is your turn to act.

Like above poster said.. There are a few common tells preflop. People pushing their cards away
      a bit shows that they will likely fold when it is there turn and so on and so on. It is best to
      just wait untill it is your turn to act and then look at your hand to conceal as much as possible
      and not give away any information.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      I can't remember which book i read it in, but i read that a clear way to spot the fish is an eager player that looks at his cards right away.

GREENSTEIN, Barry. Ace on the River.
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      I just found this clip on youtube.

• Bezeal
      Bezeal
      Bronze
      This is an interesting discussion. You mostly read the advice, that you should wait to look at your hole cards untill its your turn, to avoid any physical tells.

But its not all that clear in my opinion (and i have heard other much better players say this too). If you can avoid giving any clear tell, there can be an advantage of looking at the cards imidiately, namely that you have more time to plan your reaction to the action around the table.

You wont have time to do that, if you wait to look at the cards. And you can also give away tells even when you wait to look at the cards, namely by the amount of time you take to decide your move. Example: There have been a raise and a call before you. Its your turn and you look at your cards, having picked up AA. Most novice and intermidiate players will have a tendency to stick in a re-raise quickly. This can be a dead giveaway, especially if you take longer time to think when you have a more marginal hand (JJ, TT or AK, AQ).

So i dont think its that clearcut, that waiting to look at the cards are a better option. No matter what you do, you can give tells with either method, and you always have to watch out for this in live poker.

So my advice would be to do whatever you feel more comfartable doing, and then practice not giving away any tells.
    • Ultifanatic
      Ultifanatic
      Bronze
      Waiting to look at your cards is more to analyse the other players...then to disguise your tells when you look at your cards.

Does not matter what position you are in, you should always be looking at the rest of the table to pick up on things they may be doing which will help you refine your plan for that hand. If 'they' are looking at thier cards right when they get them, what reactions are they having. IF they are ordering drinks while the hand is being dealt, or it is the final minute of a sports game on TV that is exciting which they are watching or the short stack that is looking at his stack with desperate eyes to double up with any Ace.

The cards are not that important in poker as so many people think, especially live poker.

Before you get your cards, you should know what range you might want to play in what ever position you are in and if you get cards in that range then you refine that plan after you have seen which two cards you do have....plus adding the information of what is happening at the rest of the table.

Lastly, with the plan already in your head and started to get refined as players work thier way around the table looking at thier cards and you looking at them looking at thier cards....even if you catch AA in the CO....since you have already refined your plan from before the cards were dealt....that AA is a nice suprise but knowing you are going to Bets a decent hands, Steal with a marginal hand, fold trash, 3 bet the fish in UTG+1 with any two.....the AA are actually not a WOW I HAVE ACES - MUST GO ALL IN reaction....but a good that means my plan can have a bit extra +EV with a premium hand.....
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      I think I also read it in Caro's book of poker tells.

Still what you have to worry about when applying this is that you don't give tells off you'reself imo because everybody is done looking at there cards now and now they now have the chance looking at you looking at you're cards. It might seem pretty obvious but I just wanted to add what I taught what cons. still live tell strategy has.