live poker, tips for specific game plz

• Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      ok i constantly play in a weekly tournament, between 5-7 players usually.

format is the winner takes all, nothing for 2nd or 3rd place.

a couple of fishy players, mostly all passive just one LAG guy. i know just to valuebet with strong hands cos likely they will call 3 streets with A3 on a A T 5 board for example. however, i often find myself getting blinded away fairly fast (often with the help of losing a hand or two along the way) to the point where im just in allin mode, which im fine with

however

iv begun to question whether TAG is the right style of play for this game, considering only 1st place gets any money, ill often find 3 maniacs going way looser than me, but also calling massiv bets with average hands and basically, one maniac has most of the chips by the end. even if i make it to the final two im usually shortstacked in comparison.

i still win my fair share, jsut thinking there could possibly be a better way in these types of fishy live games where payout is only for first place.

anyone have any ideas or experience with this? thanks
  • 3 replies
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      It all depends. How many big blinds do you start with? How many hands can you play before the blinds go up? If you find yourself shortstacked too often, practice ICM for a while.
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      oh yeah sorry. we start with 10 000 chips, blinds at 50 / 100, every 30 minutes blinds double. so 50 : 100, 100: 200, 200: 400 etc.

not that many hands tho, people are slow to shuffle and stuff.

my ICM is decent, pretty much guaranteed to get called if shortstack shoves in one of these games tho (which is fine, im usually ahead when that happens).

i dont fare too badly, just wondering if the best strategy is still just TAG when only top 1 place gets paid. cbets generally only work sometimes also, people call just to see what you have :) so its easy to get big hands paid off. only problem being if u dont have much luck with hands u cant really bluff people too easily.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      TAG isn't very descriptive when it comes to style, but the basics remain the same. You can't expect to win a tournament just because you're the better player at the table, but if you constantly put yourself in a position where you're the favorite, you'll win more often than others. Just try to adapt. If you can't get away with bluffs often enough, play more for value. If opponents are aggressive, feign weakness and let them bluff their stack away at you. If they're passive, bet your strong hands all the way, bet your marginal value hands just once or twice. Basically look at what your opponent does and play the opposite against him. Basic strategy, it doesn't always work, but at least most of the time.