[NL2-NL10] turn cbet on A high

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.15) K, 7, 5 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.70, MP3 calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.55) A (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $2.30, MP3 calls $2.30(All-In).

River: ($7.15) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $7.15.

Results follow:

MP3 shows a pair of aces(6s Ah).
      Hero shows a pair of queens(Qh Qc).

MP3 wins with a pair of aces(6s Ah).

opponent is loose passive and has low fold to cbet stats. so i decided to cbet the flop, which i thought was correct.

however on the turn, the A would have improved part of his range good enough to beat me. and if he had a A, he was not going to lay it down anyway. i thought that a better line would be to check behind the turn and check/(call or fold) the river.
  • 1 reply
    • caltabiano

Yeah, we should definitely check back the turn. We accomplish nothing by betting. We don't fold out better hands and I doubt we get value from worse hands.
      Any Kx or better calls and anything worse than that probably folds. Except something like an OESD or some pair that picked up a flush draw on the turn. Still, most of his calling range destroys us completely.

On the river, if he shoves, it'd be kind of tough, because he probably just checks Kx. So I guess he can have A high that peeled the flop or A7/A5. Also there are some busted str8 draws that might push. BUT, given that he's loose passive, I'd take a shove as a sign of strength and give it up =)