SSS on William Hill

• FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I was wondering how you guys play SSS on William Hill - specifically I was wondering about the buy-in structure.

Normally, regardless of the limit, you sit down with 20 Big Blinds for the SSS - on William Hill however the minimum buy-in across all tables (unless I'm missing something) is 30 BB.

When do you refill and when do you leave the table if you're following the SSS?

I've only just signed up there and have been playing an improvised (in terms of the buy-in structure SSS) but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I've been refilling when I reach 22.5 BB and leaving when I reach 37.5 BB but I was wondering if this messes the overall idea of the SSS up?
  • 7 replies
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      hey;

i'm not SSS player, but this is what i'm intersted in:

If you play 30bb buyin table even though standard SSS strategy wasnt made for those (i expect you to make some modifications), why do you sitout with 22.5bb? If you lose 10bb, it's fine as you can play "standard" SSS with 20bb... just my 2 cents
    • FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      The problem with that is that if I play standard SSS when I reach 20BB I'd always be leaving the table with a loss of 5BB as I originally sat down with 30BB (standard SSS you leave the table when you reach 25BB).

This is really a problem for me as I'm not quite sure how to tackle this - so any input is appreciated :)

I don't understand what you mean by "why do you sitout with 22.5bb" - What I've been doing is refilling my stack to 30BB when I reach 22.5BB, the reason for that is that with standard SSS you refill when you reach 15BB, i.e. 75% of your original stack, so 22.5BB = 75% of 30BB.

I agree with that one would expect to make modifications to the standard SSS when sitting down to 30BB but what would these be?

On a related note, why does William Hill have this unusual buy in structure??
    • FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      I have now discovered that it seems to be a change that has been happening across a lot of sites... dang!

What is going to happen to the SSS now...
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by FishDan11
      one has to adapt or will die... easy game ;)
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      I have now discovered that it seems to be a change that has been happening across a lot of sites... dang!

This change in the poker world has been set in motion by Full Tilt Poker in february or march if I'm not mistaken. Pokerstars soon followed and so all other poker networks are following this new trend as well now.

Oh and playing SSS with a 30bb stack just doesn't work. At least not the way pokerstrategy explains it. The entire meta game changes cause your stack is now 50% bigger. You're gonna need fold equity in some spots now, you can't really insta jam pre-flop if someone raises cause pushing 30bb vs a 4bb raise or pushing 20bb vs 4bb is a HUGE difference.
    • FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mstlc

This change in the poker world has been set in motion by Full Tilt Poker in february or march if I'm not mistaken. Pokerstars soon followed and so all other poker networks are following this new trend as well now.

Oh and playing SSS with a 30bb stack just doesn't work. At least not the way pokerstrategy explains it. The entire meta game changes cause your stack is now 50% bigger. You're gonna need fold equity in some spots now, you can't really insta jam pre-flop if someone raises cause pushing 30bb vs a 4bb raise or pushing 20bb vs 4bb is a HUGE difference.
      Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I've started playing BSS and have been faring very well at my usual site, not that great on WH yet though.

I guess this means goodbye SSS - it's time anyway, since I've played well over 100,000 hands with SSS and at the higher limits it just isn't as effective anyway.

Thanks for your input, Mstlc :)
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      I just changed the All in with a Re-raise, just adapt your SSS strategy to the new terms.

I am using now the main idea of the strategy but with few modifications and its working fine.