This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

When to add-on

• astrobel
      astrobel
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

Is there a formula to determine whether to add-on or not is a good idea ?

Last night I was playing an Omaha-8 $5 rebuy. Starting chips were 1500, I re-bought straight away to start with 3000. When the re-buy period ended I had about 6600 in chips, 80 players left, 12 getting paid and $1775 in the prize pool after add-ons. The average chip count after the add-on was 7100.

I thought that adding-on in that case would be marginal and decided not to. Was that a good decision ? What shall I consider next time I face this situation ?

Many thanks for your input.
  • 2 replies
    • TheRebuz
      TheRebuz
      Black
      if i have <~avg stack and players at mine table have ~avg stack too i'll always add on
      -if i have 1.5 avg stack and players at mine table have ~avg stack and add on doesnt change much in perspective i might not add on (ex. i have 9k, avg is 6k add is 2k, avg at mine table is 5k-before add on and it will be like 6,5 after add on is more likely i wont add depends of blinds size, is table loose agro or tight, and time of the levels is like 60/40% - not add/add)
      - if i have 2x+ avg stack i never add on
    • AaronLambert
      AaronLambert
      Bronze
      I generally always think it is in your best interest to add on if it is more than a regular stack. For example a re-buy is 1500 and an add-on is 2000, you should always then add-on.

But in some cases like the 1R 1A you see on stars it is the same across the board for a re-buy and an add-on. In these instances if I'm well over average stack I'll pass unless I have a terrible player who has a big stack as well. When you are around average or lower you must add-on.