1st place, or the bubbleboy.

• Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Am playing 9 and 18 man SNGs, and I can not understand the results. Either I get the first place, or finish on the bubble. This is the rule, and it is very seldom I manage to break it. Of course, most of the times I get kicked out on the bubble, no matter what I do. Either I steal and get called. Does not matter, if by a better or worse hand. Or if there are maniacs around, then I simply get blinded out. But if I do get into the money, then I do get the first place around 80% of the time.

What could it be I am doing wrong? At times it feels like there is no skill involved, whatsoever. Just pure luck, only luck, and lots of it. Any skill I may have gets me to the bubble only, while the people who should ask a refund for their brain implants get kicked out first, usually with one or two lucky exceptions who then cash in for a session of bingo.
  • 8 replies
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      sample size?
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Haven't kept any statistics, but I'd say the last 40 tournaments have been like this. Ended up on the bubble on every single tournament today. Did not matter whatsoever, if I had the chiplead at some stage, or not. Before that I managed to break even, but not any longer. My bankroll is all but gone, unwillingly donated to some less capable people.

There has to be something I am doing wrong. I do not consider myself to be a poor player any longer, as I managed to become a winning player for several months, when I was consistently winning. Several months, until the last eight or so weeks. Variance can be a minor reason, but I do not believe it to be the case.

Can it be, that I am overusing my chipleader position to bully people? But that I did also when I was relocating their money into my pockets. Nothing else I could think of.
      Bronze
      You can post some of your bubble hands in the evaluation section.

If you are making mistakes people and the judges can discuss your hands and help you pick up on them.

I don't think you can get much help from making sa thread like this, there is not enough detail to work with.

Try the evaluation section.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Basically this is the story how I got from a complete losing player (because I did not have any clue as to what I was doing and was supposed to be doing) to a stable player, and finally to a winning player, enough to have a balance of around $3000, given I had not cashed out. A story of a coaster ride from $1000 (I kept the rest away from the greedy idiots) to $0.20 in less than three months.

Again, on the bubble. Had 2 pair, decided to bet it, villain (loose, as they all are) re-raised, one person called, and I decided to join in. Villain had a set, I had less chips than the caller and finished on the bubble.

The hand, as it was played:
      89s on BB

Now I indeed think it is impossible to win. Perhaps betting only the nuts, and letting others bet you out of the pot, unless you have anything other than the nuts.

Other nice hands today [Tried Full Tilt's Rush Poker (Now I know why is is called Full TILT)]:

*AKs - Two kings on the flop. Villain hits a full house with his K9o on the river.
      *88 - Set of eights. Villain had a set of jacks. Well, at least the best hand won. As seldom as it happens.
      *45s - Straight on the turn. Villain slowplayed his queens, giving him trips on the flop. Villain hit full house on the river.

There is one more I don't remember. And I even did not play a lot.

Anyway, the bankroll is finito. Can't win. Seems indeed that any skill I have lets me last to the bubble, thus wasting most time of them all. Should donate my last dollars to Stars. At least then I can rest assured that I am not supporting another idiot, nor wasting any more of my time on this complete bull.

On the side note. The only tournament I was able to cash in was a $1 rebuy to a $55 tournament on Stars, with 15 minute levels. And such satellites are for most part the only form of poker I have succeeded at. Not that I have much use of that any more, as I went from that win to a massive $0.20, playing $1 SNG's, the last being a $0.25 one, which as mentioned above ended for me by being kicked out on the bubble.

If there is anything impossible in this World, then it is poker. Anything else can be done, but as far as I am concerned, one can not win in poker any longer.

And just for fun I looked up someone acting like a complete idiot in OPR. Turns out he is in profit and has won a third place, among other hight places from a $3 tournament, cashing in over $4000. Well, he had a total profit of around $250 only, with total prize money around $54000. but if such players show anything less than -30% ROI, then it only adds to this all. Any normal play (or alternatively I do not have any slightest clue, as to what normal is) is not going to succeed.
      Bronze
      No offense but your problem is not so much bubbling out of too many tournaments as it is playing out
      side of your limits. BR management would have made it impossible to lose all of your 1K in 3 months.
      Even if you had the worst run even in the history of SNGs and tournaments there is no possible way
      you would be playing with your last quarter from 1 thousand dollars in 3 months.

On the contrary using BRM you can turn that quarter back into 1 grand.

If you have 2k left, deposit a hundred bucks, and start playing $2 SNGs.

Do not move up or away form them untill you hit 75-100 buy ins for the $3s.

Yes it is nice to have huge heaters and end up with monster bank rolls but the drop back down is just
      as sudden if not more so and permanent when you have no other money to rely on for poker. While
      you are playing the $3s keep posting alot of hands and atend coachings get everythig this site offers
      you for free under your belt and move up as your BR allows. You will have a 3k Br again sooner than
      you think without the risk of it dissapearing again.

Good luck.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Yes, I am guilty on playing a few tournaments BRM would not have allowed. However, except on those few occasions, I did have 100 or more buy ins. Except today, when I had ca $20 left and played $1 games.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Anyone else amazed how people like him get a 3k bankroll?

I just looked someone up from another forum. he had 16% ROI right.. 1500 sng's played. Yet i could clearly tell he was a donk fish playing way outside his bankroll management. He had at one point $6k profit having played up to $500 sng's.. epic fail ofcourse.. last 750 sng's he's down to $3k now. I have no doubt it's 100% bad play and his luck has ran out.

I'm pretty sure you are not much different from that guy, probably even less volume played. If your still complaining about bad beats.. I don't see if you truly followed BRM and grinded your way up to a $3k brm you'd have atleast 2k+ sng's played imo. I don't see how someone who has played so much could still complain about bad beats.

Just study alot, practice ICM, post hands in the hand evaluation forum. You clearly didn't follow BRM if you went from $3k to 0. It doesn't matter if you follow brm 90% or not at all. If you started playing $200 tournaments for example your just making a huge mistake. You simply did not follow solid BRM. Or are a huge losing player... Either way.. you should be studying more.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      No, you misunderstood me. Yes, I did play $150 tournaments, and a few $215 ones, but only because I won a seat to them and was unable to unregister, or had to use the tickets on them.

I got to $3000 by playing satellites to different events. These are the only ones I can win from time to time. Or at least could do so back then.

My username is Styrman007. You can look it up, if you so wish.

Yes, one thing I am lacking, is ICM training, which I should study again. Thank you for pointing that out for me. :)