[NL2-NL10] Mid pair on drawy heavy board, bet value

• degre
      Here I feel a bit an idiot for how I played, think I must have panicked...

My reasoning:
      I don't have position on the flop, so I just check. Nobody has T or overpair, or they would have simply bet.
      Turn gives me an OESD and I have a decent pair, so I bet.
      On the river I think I've messed up completely, such a bet as no sense.
      With such a bet the only one who would have actually called me are people with a made straight... I have 2 pairs and I shall use it, anyone who has hit anything, would probably call, as probably would call even someone with AK/AQ, and I sure need no bluff to scare him out, I want to see the showdown her.

What you think I should have done? Maybe betting 1/4 of the pot?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9, 8.
      UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.25, CO folds, BU calls $0.25, SB calls $0.20, BB folds, Hero calls $0.15.

Flop: ($1.1) T, 9, 4 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($1.1) 7 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, MP3 folds, BU calls $0.25, SB folds.

River: ($1.6) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

As played you're almost trying to bluff out anybody without a straight, and it's pretty suicidal anyway given that straights/two pairs make up a decent portion of his river range on that card.

Betting something like 1/3 pot and folding to a raise sounds alright provided your opponent isn't bad enough to raise worse two pairs, because if he is it puts you in a very ugly spot. 1/3 pot is small enough that it can get called by worse and still big enough that people without a straight usually won't try to raise it.

Hope it helps.