This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Mid pair on drawy heavy board, bet value

• degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Here I feel a bit an idiot for how I played, think I must have panicked...

My reasoning:
      I don't have position on the flop, so I just check. Nobody has T or overpair, or they would have simply bet.
      Turn gives me an OESD and I have a decent pair, so I bet.
      On the river I think I've messed up completely, such a bet as no sense.
      With such a bet the only one who would have actually called me are people with a made straight... I have 2 pairs and I shall use it, anyone who has hit anything, would probably call, as probably would call even someone with AK/AQ, and I sure need no bluff to scare him out, I want to see the showdown her.

What you think I should have done? Maybe betting 1/4 of the pot?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $41.29
      MP3:
      $18.60
      CO:
      $30.61
      BU:
      $16.73
      SB:
      $10.00
      BB:
      $9.85
      UTG2:
      $13.32
      MP1 (Hero):
      $29.85

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9, 8.
      UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.25, CO folds, BU calls $0.25, SB calls $0.20, BB folds, Hero calls $0.15.

Flop: ($1.1) T, 9, 4 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($1.1) 7 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, MP3 folds, BU calls $0.25, SB folds.

River: ($1.6) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

As played you're almost trying to bluff out anybody without a straight, and it's pretty suicidal anyway given that straights/two pairs make up a decent portion of his river range on that card.

Betting something like 1/3 pot and folding to a raise sounds alright provided your opponent isn't bad enough to raise worse two pairs, because if he is it puts you in a very ugly spot. 1/3 pot is small enough that it can get called by worse and still big enough that people without a straight usually won't try to raise it.

Hope it helps.