$2.07
      MP1:
      $5.71
      MP2:
      $5.90
      MP3:
      $9.08

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, 4.
      3 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.12) 5, 8, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($0.12) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($0.12) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.05, MP3 raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.15.

Final Pot: $0.52.

Results follow:

MP3 shows two pairs, jacks and sevens(Qd Jd).
      Hero shows two pairs, jacks and sevens(Jc 4h).

MP3 wins with two pairs, jacks and sevens(Qd Jd).

Posted this just out of curiosity, because I think I might have played it right, but still - should I have bet and should I have called the raise? The player is unknown.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You can't really play that "right" against an unknown. I can tell you however you didn't play it "wrong".

People will check down stuff like 5x and call you in case you're bluffing so betting is okay, people will check down draws and might bluff once they miss so check/calling is okay, people will randomly bluff-raise that bet of yours after the slow action on earlier streets. Until you know which of those things and more he's capable of / more likely to use, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself no matter which neutral option you choose the first time around.

I'd tend to just check/call to make sure I see a relatively cheap showdown and force him to a telling decision that I can get a read from. If he has a J he might or might not valuebet it, if he has a busted draws he might or might not bluff with it, either way I get to know him better for relatively few big blinds no matter what happens. Wouldn't quarrel with anyone throwing in a valuebet by default and I certainly would do so with something like JT, but it sometimes puts you into weird guessing games against complete unknowns for more money and possibly result in you not seeing his hand.

Hope it helps.