$4.00
      MP3:
      $5.00
      CO:
      $13.79
      BU:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, A.
      3 folds, SB calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.16, SB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.32) 6, 7, K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.24, SB calls $0.24.

Turn: ($0.8) T (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.48, SB calls $0.48.

River: ($1.76) Q (2 players)
      SB bets $0.88, Hero calls $0.88.

Final Pot: $3.52.
      Results follow:

Hero shows high card ace(3 A).
      SB shows high card king(3 9).

Hero wins with high card ace(3 A).

Hi.I cant get this hand out of my head for couple of days, wondering is this call good or no.On NL4 its useless calling with A high anyway, but in this spot i saw a profitable spot to call.Villain is a calling station, 86\2\1.2 for 110 hands, but river aggresion is really big.After a standart Cbet, the turn card is not that good since 89 got there, as well as T9 and T8 with which he would also call on the flop.I didnt thinkd it too much and bet, since he still can fold some kind of mid and btm pair, as well as 22-55.I dont see K in his range at this time.Now, on 2nd thought i think i should check the turn, since there is rly no value in my bet, the only draws that i am still ahead are 85 and 45 and the mentioned fold equity to the hands above.However, he decided to lead the river, which he often do and i had in my mind after the turn that i will call here, induced by his high river aggresion and curiosity.This play is not in my repertoire at all, at all its NL4, these kind of plays are never profitable in the long run.So, is this call profitable?And is there a line, where i c turn with the intention of call his smaller bet on the river?Thank u in advance :)
  • 2 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      I don't think calling without at least a pair here is very profitable in the long run. Normally a calling station that starts betting often has a hand but apparently you had a read that he was extremely aggresive on the river. It's just not such a clear call here.

If the flop has a flush draw and the turn & river blank and then he donks he could do so with the busted draw, the chances of him bluffing a busted draw are quite a bit smaller here imo. Do make a note on him peeling the flop oop with nothing more then 2 backdoor draws.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't consider that T turn a blank, it gets 98 there and a lot of the hands he likely peels with on the flop marginally improve on that card, think 87/86/97/96 type of stuff that picks up a gutshot and is NEVER folding. Together with Kx never folding either we're clearly trying to make him fold only his pure air hands (which we beat) or very low pocket pairs that he peeled the flop with, which probably isn't enough to make up for the times villain calls us and we only have 3 outs. I'd pretty much always check that back unless I plan on 3 barreling a lot of blank rivers.

On the river it's somewhat tricky depending on the player, basically you want to know if he's capable of randomly merging hands or not. By that I mean just suddenly betting stuff like 7x on the river for no apparent reason.

If that's the case it makes calling with A3-high on the river on that board pretty bad in my opinion, you'll see a random pair too often to profitable look him up. Your villain looks like he could fit that category fairly well. Most calling station don't tho. And since they suck at valuebetting by definition as well, they usually check down any marginal piece happily (even A-high), so they're left with a completely polarized river betting range comprised of the mortal nuts and complete bluffs like 54/club redraws, in which case your A3 is a viable bluff-catcher.

Hope it helps.