[NL2-NL10] set busted by straight: did I play well?

• pokerdon9932
      pokerdon9932
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

Si I'm gonna post my first hand:)
      What should I have done differently?
      I think my mistake was checking preflop instead of raising?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.96
      Hero:
      $1.06
      MP2:
      $2.28

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:spade: , T:diamond:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, 3 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.15) Q:club: , K:heart: , 2:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.10, SB calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.20, MP2 calls $0.10, SB calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.75) T:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, SB raises to $1.71 (All-In), Hero calls $0.56 (All-In), MP2 folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($2.62) J:heart: (1 players)

Final Pot: $2.62

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, tens (Ts Td)
      SB shows a straight, ace high (As Js)

SB wins with a straight, ace high (As Js)
  • 9 replies
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      buy in full.
      Raise pre.
      check/fold this flop in multiway pot.
      bet/get it in turn.
    • ollimacgja
      ollimacgja
      Bronze
      Look, I´m probably not the best person to say anything....but..

IMO:

I would have folded the hald when the guy went all-in...why?

Well....if it was me...i would think:
      -"Okay...I have a decent hand. I made a set on the turn."
      -" Okay, now let´s see...what kind of hands can beat me...A straight,flus,fullhouse,4of a kind,....or a better set..."

Now, you have to analyze the patterns that your opponents where showing...
      "Okay, MP2 called on the pre-flop...he probably don´t have a pocket pair(since he would raise with it)...he raised on the flop, that means he got something. Probably a KK or at least QQ..."
      "SB did call all the bets, that means he is drawing at something, because if he had a overpair he would have raised before the flop...so he have at least top pair."

On the turn:
      "Okay, now I hit a set.(SB checks). Okay he has nothing.I´ll raise."
      Mp2-calls( he would call, since he would think he still have the top pair or smth);
      SB Raises all-in
      "Wait a minute, this guy is kiddin me..he checks, now he is all in??What could he have?"
      check the cards on the table....
      Okay...he doesn´t have pocket pairs...the T on the turn can give him a straight if he holds a AJ"

Now you stop and think:
      "Is AJs AJo a hand someone would play with, and when the flop come Q K 2 would make him call all bets?"

If the answer is yes, than you should fold..I mean..I would.

That´s what i Think.
    • qakaripodon
      qakaripodon
      Bronze
      best way to play TT in that situation: raise PRE / bet/fold flop / shove turn
      anyway as played shove turn, dont fold set with 20bb behind unless 1card is needed to complete draws
    • pokerdon9932
      pokerdon9932
      Bronze
      Thanks for your answers!

Should have folded on the flop anyways but i liked the tens a little too mmuch..

ollimacgja, i had the exact same thoughts until river: Ok i have a set, i have a set, i have a set i have a set.... and it stopped there. Never saw AJ coming and i should have when SB went Allin :f_cry: .
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ollimacgja
      Look, I´m probably not the best person to say anything....but..

IMO:

I would have folded the hald when the guy went all-in...why?

Well....if it was me...i would think:
      -"Okay...I have a decent hand. I made a set on the turn."
      -" Okay, now let´s see...what kind of hands can beat me...A straight,flus,fullhouse,4of a kind,....or a better set..."

Now, you have to analyze the patterns that your opponents where showing...
      "Okay, MP2 called on the pre-flop...he probably don´t have a pocket pair(since he would raise with it)...he raised on the flop, that means he got something. Probably a KK or at least QQ..."
      "SB did call all the bets, that means he is drawing at something, because if he had a overpair he would have raised before the flop...so he have at least top pair."

On the turn:
      "Okay, now I hit a set.(SB checks). Okay he has nothing.I´ll raise."
      Mp2-calls( he would call, since he would think he still have the top pair or smth);
      SB Raises all-in
      "Wait a minute, this guy is kiddin me..he checks, now he is all in??What could he have?"
      check the cards on the table....
      Okay...he doesn´t have pocket pairs...the T on the turn can give him a straight if he holds a AJ"

Now you stop and think:
      "Is AJs AJo a hand someone would play with, and when the flop come Q K 2 would make him call all bets?"

If the answer is yes, than you should fold..I mean..I would.

That´s what i Think.
      Yeah you should probably assume that villian has a straight if it is possible. Same goes for other hands when you don't the absolute nuts for example if you have TT and the flop is AT6, AA is a hand that beats you and that sounds like a hand villian would play therefore you fold. Hey even if they could suckout you should probably fold.
      This is my personal favourite bit of this piece of advice:
      Villian is raising all PP therefore doesn't have one but we assume he has KK or QQ because he bets the flop. ?(

But seriously listen to PetterG2, raise preflop, checkfold in multiway pot and get it in on the turn (you still have 10 outs if he has the straight).
    • ollimacgja
      ollimacgja
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GunFlavoured
      Originally posted by ollimacgja
      This is my personal favourite bit of this piece of advice:
      Villian is raising all PP therefore doesn't have one but we assume he has KK or QQ because he bets the flop. ?(

What I mean is that...if he didn´t raise pre-flop he probably doesn´t have pocket pairs....

When the flop came KQ2...he could have hit a KK (if he h ad a Kx on his hand) or a QQ(Qx on hand)....
    • CBFunk
      CBFunk
      Bronze
      Hi pokerdon9932,

I move your thread to our hand judging forum:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387

One of our hand judges will have a look at your hand and tell you what you could have played better.

Good luck at the tables :)

Best regards,

Clemens
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Hey!

Well, I see you're playing with 20bb only, so I assume you're actually a shortstacker.

I'll ask the hand to be moved to the SSS forum =)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello everybody :) !

As this is a shortstacking hand, we are theoretically seeing toppair and better as the best hand most of the time

Now preflop you hold the Top 5% best hands of Hold'em so I would raise preflop for value

On the Flop you have 10% equity to draw out against any Kx and Qx so I wouldn't take my chances here so folding is the best play

Now on the Turn you hit your magic card and I think you can make it bigger. Since your stack is approximately 80cents I would just shove all-in there. On the limit you play, Kx and sometimes Qx are NOT going to fold. There are also worser nut hands like 2 pairs and 22. If you are up agianst AJ, you still have outs to redraw no worries ;)

I hope I explained it clearly to you. If not do not hesitate to reply and hit the ''Let the judge look at this hand again''-button

Best regards,
      Gerv