[NL2-NL10] NL2 OESD draw: did I do it right?

• pokerdon9932
      pokerdon9932
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!

My thoughts in italic.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.75
      UTG2:
      $2.31
      CO:
      $4.08

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9:heart: , 4:heart:
      UTG2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, CO calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.07) 5:heart: , 7:club: , 6:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.03, UTG2 folds, CO raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.03.
      OESD, sweet. Pot odds seemed correct to me, so i called the raise.

Turn: ($0.19) 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, CO raises to $0.24, Hero calls $0.12.
      I fear a set so i protect my OESD which has not changed with 2/3 pot
      I was wrong here in my opinion, he would'nt fold the set to this bet..

River: ($0.67) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.67, CO raises to $3.76 (All-In), Hero calls $1.76 (All-In), CO gets uncalled bet back.
      I hit the straight so i bet the pot. Being convinced of having the bigger hand, putting him either on high pair or set, i call the allin.
      Final Pot: $5.53

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, nine high (9h 4h)
      CO shows four of a kind, sevens (7d 7h)

CO wins with four of a kind, sevens (7d 7h)
  • 4 replies
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Hey pokerdon9932,

Flop: I don't think there is any reason to lead this flop. You don't really want to generate a large pot because you are not going to get much action when you hit and it's likely going to be a chop.

Turn: Once again there is no reason to lead here because villain is likely to barrel that turn card if he has a 7 and maybe even a 68 type hand with equity. When he raises the turn just throw your hand into the muck. He is going to have a made hand a lot of the time and I don't think he will pay you off on the river unless he has you beat with a full house.

River: Once again why bet? You don't have the initiative and he is going to probably raise hands which either beat you or that you chop with. If you put him on a set then he has you beat... therefore you should of folded. His over shove looks really strong and would make me believe he has a full house or has 9T and caught his bluff catcher.

Hope this helps
    • jecis4
      jecis4
      Bronze
      I think flop is OK.

But on turn i would never ever ever bet. There are almost no worse hands that would call, and almost no better hands that would fold - a set, made straight, or a full house here will always call. I would play check/call if odds are OK but basically check/fold.

On the river you have to play bet/fold. Never ever worse hands will re raise you in that spot.

EDIT: wow someone was faster :D
    • pokerdon9932
      pokerdon9932
      Bronze
      Well, at least I can say that it won't probably happen again after this..
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Hey!

I wouldn't bet this flop eithe, because there are waaay too many hands that are going to call you and your equity is really really bad, since you'l always hit a pretty weak obvious straight.

As played, you can safely fold on the turn, because you don't get odds to call. He can easily have a full house now and you're drawing dead. And again, even if you do hit your straight, it'll be a weak one and you won't get paid off =)

So just give it up ;-)

Cheers!