atheist

• sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      I like to know if there are any athiest pokerplayer as it seems to me religion if a very in logical practice and probably something a good poker player would have qeustions about if raised that way.
  • 59 replies
    • eszibit
      eszibit
      Bronze
      pick me pick me. Some famous atheist include George Carlin ( incredible stand-up comedian) ,Fidel Castro,Jack Nicholson,Bruce Lee, Bill Gates,Sigmund Freud and the list could go on.

All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway
      :f_biggrin:
    • Alferg
      Alferg
      Bronze
      I am atheist - it is the only reasonable response to all the different religions available.
      They can't all be right - therefore the only logical explanation is that they are all wrong!
      Obviously it takes some research but, after reading about theory of mind, evolution, biogenesis and cosmology any requirement for a deity disappears.
      Tread your own path!!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I don't really question the fact that there are beings superior to humans (call them gods, aliens, Allah, etc.), but I do question religion and it's system. So yeah, I could be called an atheist. I have a long way to go to be called an atheist poker player, but I'm still young. :f_biggrin:

LE: Like Alferg said: "Tread your own path!!". That's what I actually believe in.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      i'm not an atheist. i'm my own god :s_cool:
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      I'm an atheist as well. I don't think reason, logic and scientific thinking can coexist with religious beliefs.

But I do differentiate between faith, as believing is something bigger than ourselves and that we cannot explain, and religion, as a social system which create forms of conditionalisms to the free will and free thinking.

Without wanting to disrespect people's beliefs.

Here's a George Carlin classic. I recomment all his stand ups. Also recommend Zeitgeist 1 for the religious skeptics (if you're a true catholic don't watch it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o
    • shane0878
      shane0878
      Bronze
      I'm from Ireland and as most of you might know the Irish history is fairly violent with regards to religion.
      Alot of sectarian murders over the past 50 years and even further back than that.
      Protestants killing Catholics and then revenge killings.
      Almost all of my friends and family see religion as, well, "just not worth the hassle".
      Not to mention the pedos.

That why every day i thank the lord i'm an Atheist :f_p:
    • gormless
      gormless
      Bronze
      Unless you count worshiping the poker gods before play, I am an atheist.
      Religion has done far more harm than good over the years in my opinion.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze

Which is not entirely true as atheist have been overall slaughtered through the years by fanatics, still, the reasoning hold.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alferg
      They can't all be right - therefore the only logical explanation is that they are all wrong!
      So if ten people have ten conflicting things to say about a given topic, they're all wrong by your definition?

Originally posted by gormless
      Religion has done far more harm than good over the years in my opinion.
      No, that's the image atheists created to bash religion, mostly by using pertinent examples. Like comparing Islam to terrorism because of a few extremists' actions, or calling catholics pedophiles because a few priests molested some boys. The crusades are also often mentioned, but religion was used not so much to motivate people for violence as to unite them, make them set aside their differences. The leaders would have found another reason to send people to war, religion just happened to be the easiest option available.

Originally posted by degre
      Which is not entirely true as atheist have been overall slaughtered through the years by fanatics, still, the reasoning hold.
      "Truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde
      The reasoning only holds if you want it to. It implies that there are no other options than the ones mentioned. For example, if god is able to prevent evil, but not willing, it doesn't make him malevolent, it makes him apathetic. The entire text relies on the fact that if an omnipotent deity does exist, it inevitably pays attention to humans and cares for them, which I find one of the most arrogant assumptions man ever made.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      @degre

The problem is that no one can say what is good and what is bad. There are rules set by "god" but if he doesnt exist then we come to the conclusion that we dont know what is good and bad.

Personally i dont believe in a divine being that is there to keep an eye on us. Maybe we are created by aliens, some supreme being but it is not the "god" described in the religions on the earth.

Exception is probably some of the asian religions which teach ppl that god is in us.
    • Alferg
      Alferg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      So if ten people have ten conflicting things to say about a given topic, they're all wrong by your definition?
      No, the simplest and most easily understandable explanation is usually correct.
      In this case that is atheism.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      ^^ Technically Atheism is the absence of belief. We are not postulating a theory of nothing -- we're rejecting the existence of deities based on lack of evidence or whatever other reason.

I don't think the world would magically be a better place without religion. Religion is a human construct – the same terrible things are still going to happen without it given the struggle for resources, and utility maximisation. If anything, it acts as a source of order and morality. Although it's debatable if this still applies today.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Religion is extraordinary good for the mind!!! You can't deny that. You've done something bad? No problem, you'll be forgiven. You are in deep trouble? No problem, somebody up there loves you, etc.

Problem is if you're really thinking religion is a lie. For every thing people can't explain they invent something to mask how stupid we are (i also think that absolutely all human beings are idiots at one level or another). Like the egyptians: they had a god for the Sun because they had no clue wtf was that round red thingy.
      (or like in poker with questions like has variance memory?)

I guess it'a a matter of mass-crappy-personality, much like a lot of people love to be told what to do: employee atitude.

So it's a matter of assuming responsability for having no answer to some of the questions we ask, and don't fill that blank with anything. Religion is like saying you don't have a gf cause you're ugly (so not your fault, everything's ok), atheism says you don't because you're stupid (assuming resposability).

Keeping things simple, religion garbage, faith garbage, destiny garbage, magic/ghosts/horoscope/whatever garbage, goal in life is to f*ck as much as you can basically, if you want another goal in life make it, God won't mind.

PS: If you believe in God i really am happy for you, since i know that you'll probably be happier in life than i am. No hard feelings!
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by silent21
      Personally i dont believe in a divine being that is there to keep an eye on us. Maybe we are created by aliens, some supreme being but it is not the "god" described in the religions on the earth.
      The theory of creationism doesn't solely imply god created man out of nothing. Those who believe the Earth was populated by Adam and Eve don't really understand the genetic effects of inbreeding. Creationism in its most assessable form says that god created the Universe (as in Big Bang, or even before that) with set laws of physics, and billions of years later life naturally (not by divine intervention) emerged on Earth. Personally I don't think the theory of organic soup makes much sense. It's possible, but in my eyes more likely that life arrived from outer space in the form of bacteria. People have recovered some meteorites that contained bacteria which are able to survive in harsh environments such as outer space. But I digress...

No, the simplest and most easily understandable explanation is usually correct.
      In this case that is atheism.
      Funny, some time ago the simplest and easiest to understand explanation was that God created everything.

Originally posted by andreibalint
      So it's a matter of assuming responsability for having no answer to some of the questions we ask, and don't fill that blank with anything. Religion is like saying you don't have a gf cause you're ugly (so not your fault, everything's ok), atheism says you don't because you're stupid (assuming resposability).
      Responsibility for having no answer? I don't get what you mean by that. The idea of god(s) originated when people witnessed something they couldn't possibly explain at the time. Like thunder and lightning for the cavemen, origins of life for 20th century scientists, origins of the Universe for modern day science, etc. It's not like people were too lazy and/or dumb to search for a solution, they just didn't have the means to find out how the world works. Answers yet to be discovered.

Just because religion originally started as a product of ignorance does not mean we should immediately dismiss the possibility of a deity. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. Being an atheist, I feel kind of weird saying that. But I believe a thinking person should give it a thought first, consider the whats and the whys, and only then come to a rational conclusion. As opposed to most a(nti)theists nowadays who just shout "bullshit!" whenever religion is even remotely mentioned.
    • shane0878
      shane0878
      Bronze
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I don't like being called atheist as being labled in this maner implies it's own religion, as in Catholisism or Hinduism, Judaeism etc and I have little time for any of them.
      However, we must not forget that many of the greatest minds in history were and are, deeply religious. It must also be said that religion has a profound effect on all our lives, whether we are 'believers' or not and has spurred many of the advances man has achieved, whether we approve of them or not.
      Peace.
    • Skyscrapers
      Skyscrapers
      Bronze
      I guess close to 100% of the younger poker players believe in the greatest religion in human civilization - science. me too...

although i don't really like to believe in something as questionable as the scientific method, i do and my poker is based on it. Science is just so powerful and i know almost nothing beyond it, so not much of a choice i guess...
    • martins1337
      martins1337
      Bronze
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      I am an atheist too

However, I can accept religious people even though I cannot understand their belief

Anyways, please do not start a useless theist vs. atheist flame here .. This community is so much better than that