Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4,00
      BB:
      $3,76

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:club: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0,16, BB raises to $0,56, Hero calls $0,40.

Flop: ($1,12) K:heart: , 5:club: , 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0,80, Hero calls $0,80.

Turn: ($2,72) T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB raises $2,40 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $5,12

Hi,

At that time the only info i had was his roughly 7/0 stats on ~15 hands.

PF is quite a nasty situation imho, could i 4bet/call push? Is the call of the 3b okay? Should i fold? I have no clue now...

As played, i don't like my flop call at all, i'd fold it now. I realised that one street later...

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      I'm raise/folding this pre-flop.

42 hands is not a huge sample but a villain that is playing 14/5 over that sample is usually a big nit. For that reason his 3bet range will be super tight and you're simply never ahead. You've also got only like 9:1 implied odds and you'll likely loose another bet vs QQ+ on a T high board. The only other hand he might have in his 3bet range is probably AK, although these kind of nits are capable of simply flatting those hands.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Mstlc
      I'm raise/folding this pre-flop.

42 hands is not a huge sample but a villain that is playing 14/5 over that sample is usually a big nit. For that reason his 3bet range will be super tight and you're simply never ahead. You've also got only like 9:1 implied odds and you'll likely loose another bet vs QQ+ on a T high board. The only other hand he might have in his 3bet range is probably AK, although these kind of nits are capable of simply flatting those hands.
      Sounds about right.

The point is, even if he's on complete air there which is possible but unlikely, you'll need to risk 95bb to continue in the hand and he'll get an easy choice: after putting in 14bb, he'll get to make a perfect decision with his polarized airballs/premiums range for the remaining 81bb (if he has air he can fold, if he has a premium he can jam).

If you make the ev calc you'll find that he needs to be 3bet/folding quite a bit more than you'd expect a nitty looking guy to, so sometimes it's just best to get out of the way and give him credit until you have a reason not to.

Hope it helps.