[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH: QQ, A on the flop

• Yuris125
      Yuris125
      Bronze
      Good day,

I'm coming back to poker after a long break... while it looks like I still can beat NL10, I'm not happy about the way I played several hands

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $9.74
      MP3 (Hero):
      $34.63
      CO:
      $10.98
      BU:
      $9.94
      SB:
      $22.32
      BB:
      $9.08

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      MP2 raises to $0.35, Hero raises to $1.00, 4 folds, MP2 calls $0.65.

Flop: ($2.15) 4, 3, A (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.40, MP2 calls $1.40.

Turn: ($4.95) 8 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $3.00, MP2 raises to $7.34(All-In), Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $7.95.

I played this session without stats. The villain seemed to be quite aggressive, but we didn't play many hands, so I wasn't sure exactly how aggressive he was

I'm very unhappy about my decision to play bet/fold on the turn. While my hand is not very strong, it's solid, and turning it into a bluff is not right. I think the best play was to check behind turn/call any river. There is a flush draw possible (and an unlikely straight draw), but with a not very strong hand and just one card to come, pot control seems to be a better option than protection. Bet/call turn definitely looks too optimistic

What's your opinion on this?

Thanks
      Yuri
  • 7 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Yeah definitly not bet the turn again. It's a 3bet pot... his range is pretty much packed with AA & AK hands. KK he probably 4bet pre-flop and JJ he should be check folding on that flop.

So yeah I'd check the turn behind and I think I'm folding against most any river bet he places.
    • Yuris125
      Yuris125
      Bronze
      Thanks!

I'm not sure about folding to his bet on the river... he was really aggressive, and I would expect him to bet on the river after a check behind on the turn with almost any hand. I think river-play is very opponent-dependent in this case, but against him I would call most of the time. Do you think it's wrong?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well.. what about checking behind turn and calling a bet on turn.

It will be very hard for 88-JJ to call here and with checking back we can make them bluff.
    • Yuris125
      Yuris125
      Bronze
      That's what I mean... check behind turn, call most river bets - the more I think about it, the more I think it was the right play
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yuris125
      Thanks!

I'm not sure about folding to his bet on the river... he was really aggressive, and I would expect him to bet on the river after a check behind on the turn with almost any hand. I think river-play is very opponent-dependent in this case, but against him I would call most of the time. Do you think it's wrong?
      Doesn't matter if someone is aggresive or not if they don't have much in their range you're actually beating. Calling a river bet with an underpair just cause he's aggresive is a bad reason. It's only good when you know a huge % of his range are draws but imo he's gonna show up with Ax way more often then with a busted draw and if he makes a proper bet on the river you'll never be able to call him down +EV I think.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Mstlc
      Yeah definitly not bet the turn again. It's a 3bet pot... his range is pretty much packed with AA & AK hands. KK he probably 4bet pre-flop and JJ he should be check folding on that flop.

So yeah I'd check the turn behind and I think I'm folding against most any river bet he places.
      Originally posted by Mstlc
      Originally posted by Yuris125
      Thanks!

Doesn't matter if someone is aggresive or not if they don't have much in their range you're actually beating. Calling a river bet with an underpair just cause he's aggresive is a bad reason. It's only good when you know a huge % of his range are draws but imo he's gonna show up with Ax way more often then with a busted draw and if he makes a proper bet on the river you'll never be able to call him down +EV I think.
      Agreed. He needs something to bluff with on the river and in a 3bet pot he won't have flushdraws/straightdraws that often.

Alternatively you can check back the flop nothing forces you to c-bet there. People will be more likely to call a turn bet with worse hands if you make it look like you don't have Ax and at nl10 you won't find many players willing to bet turn jam river just because it looks like you don't have top pair.

Hope it helps.
    • Yuris125
      Yuris125
      Bronze
      Thanks! Actually I consider c-betting flop too often one of my biggest leaks... hopefully I'll have the patience to plug it this time :)
      Thanks again!