$3.00
      MP2:
      $11.21
      MP3 (Hero):
      $13.45
      CO:
      $6.18

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, J.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, BU raises to $0.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20.

Flop: ($1.65) 4, T, K (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, CO folds, BU calls $1.20.

Turn: ($4.05) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, BU calls $2.50.

River: ($9.05) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.10, BU calls $4.10.

Final Pot: $17.25.

No stats. The villain seemed to be fishy

Preflop: Is it ok to call? Normally I wouldn't call a 3bet with this hand, especially OOP. But with a min-3bet... seemed to weak to fold when I needed to pay just $0.20
      Flop: Only now I realised that I forgot about his 3bet and made a donk-bet here. This could be a good move against am opponent with calling station tendencies, but I'm not sure. Would check/call be a better option? What about check/raise?
      As played: Is bet-bet-bet the right line? I got the initiative after donking on the flop, seemed foolish not to bet the turn, when I added a flush draw to my top pair. Not so sure about the river, maybe check/call was better?

Thanks
      Yuri
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's fine to call the minraise with a hand like KJs, it can make two pairs / flushes / straights to beat BU's hand even if he's really strong preflop, and if he's not it's perfectly fine to play for a good top pair. The problem is you've got to realize how dicey it makes postflop play not to know which category your villain falls in. If he's never min3betting and he has AA all the time you'll own yourself trying to valuebet a top pair, if he's min3betting often and you're too cautious you'll miss value in the process. This is completely up to you to decide which way to go with that, just make sure you understand not to take it too far against people who don't seem like they're screwing around a lot with min3bets.

On the flop I'll usually check/call especially if I'm not sure about villain's preflop range, if we donk and get raised we put ourselves into a spot where we have to fold or felt TPGK, which is no good since we don't know whether villain is likely to show up with AA or to have airballs.

As played the turn is somewhat gross, if we get shoved on at that point our top pair is unlikely to be good but we'll probably have to call it off on account of having a flushdraw to go with it. If villain had a full stack I'd probably prefer checking that turn to make sure we don't get pushed off the draw. Since I'm not thrilled about seizing the initiative on the flop in the first place, I don't really mind releasing it on the turn.

As played on the river, flushdraw whiffed and at this point you really played it like you believed your TPGK was good against that guy's range, so it's probably better to continue on with the plan and valuebet the river. If you check villain will probably not be good enough to valuebet worse made hands, tho he will bet monsters, and maybe throw in a bluff with QJ/maybe also random gutshots if he peeled twice with them. So check/calling assumes you believe villain will bluff enough in that spot to make up for the fact that he only valuebets better hands, which again you don't really know. Better to make sure worse hands can't get away cheaply than to count on him bluffing a lot without reads, if I check it'll likely be with the intention of check/folding to a decent bet.

Hope it helps.
    • Yuris125
      Yuris125
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply!