Moving through the limits?

• jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Hi,

I have been grinding it out, practising good BRM, playing $1, sit and go, 30 players.

According to PS when I get to $100 dollars (I am $10 away) I can move up a limit to $2.

Would you advise:-

A) Moving up straight away?

B) Staying where I am and using the notes I have on my opponents till I have a bigger bankroll?

C) Dipping a toe in the water and playing mainly $1, but occasionally $2?

Cheers

Jass
  • 13 replies
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jass1960
      C) Dipping a toe in the water and playing mainly $1, but occasionally $2?
      I don't play SnGs, but this sounds like a good idea.
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      As i move up i play a mixture. now im playing the 3.30, 5, and 6.50. works well for me so i would suggest you take option number 3 but play hallf half $1,$2
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jass1960
      A) Moving up straight away?
      I wouldn't move up straight away. Move up when you are confident in your game and happy to take shots.

Originally posted by jass1960B) Staying where I am and using the notes I have on my opponents till I have a bigger bankroll?
      It's fine to take shots as long as you are capable of dropping down a limit if your shots don't go well.

Originally posted by jass1960C) Dipping a toe in the water and playing mainly $1, but occasionally $2?
      That is probably the best way to take shots by playing a mixture of the games.

I hope your shots go well and good luck at the tables.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice guys - I was leaning towards C myself.

And just as an update had a good session with 2 wins tonight and have just crept over $100............
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Completely depends what you are comfortable doing. If you want to climb the limits fast then move up straight away and set an amount of money you are comfortable taking a shot with eg $20 before you move back down to $1 sng's If you want to take a more steady steady approach simply move up when you feel like it occasionally adding some $2 games into your sessions as well.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice guys which I took and have been playing maybe 3 x $1 to every $2.

As an update I have done really well at the higher limit

I don't know if that is because:

A) I am playing tighter because it is a higher limit

B) Or I Just got lucky.

C) Or both

I am guessing at C

Extremely small sample I know.

Played 21
      ITM 5
      1st 3
      ROI 186%
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      always remember when you move up, set yourself a stop loss where you will move back down...

if i was playing sng's, using a 50BI BRM, i would move up at $100, and move back down if i fell below $60 (30BI at the lower limit)...

however, if you want to take an even safer option, you could keep grinding the $1's until you reach say $140, then set your stop loss at $100 (which can help you not bust your roll if you hit a downswing when you have to move back down, which is quite possible... also has the advantage that you are playing more at a limit you are beating, therefore building your skills and confidence)

either way, best of luck at the tables!
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      I would move up as soon as you can, the game is pretty much the same and the rake usually drops as well. You won't find a massive difference in players untill you get to at least ~$10 games.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice guys.

After another good session with a win at $2 and at $1, which takes me to over $150 - which in theory means I could have a crack at $3 SNG's.

That seems a bit scary so soon.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      move up fast
      move down faster
      :D
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Leito99
      move up fast
      move down faster
      :D
      good point...... :s_biggrin:
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Play is no better at the $2s than it is at the $1s, there are just like one or two more regs (there are no regs at $1s :f_p: ).
      I'd just move up straight away, but you will have to be careful because the swings will become harder to take psychologically because they will be a much larger $$ amount.
      I had this issue; i moved up to $2.25s on FTP as soon as I hit $100, went on an epic downer back to $60 and am now on the $1.20s again. Its a bit of a bummer but these things happen.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      True.....

That's variance :evil: