Moving from NL5 to NL10

Bronze
      Ok, so I've had some success recently and I have reached NL10. Have had some sessions on NL10 already and I must say, the difference is very noticable. My opponents on general seem to be much more aggressive than on NL5 and I've been having quite some trouble adapting to this new environment. People tend to reraise my cbets rather than calling them much more often and that's what's making me struggle.

So I was wondering if you could give me some general tips on how to change and improve my game to beat NL10 or simply on how to adapt to a new limit, because after beating NL5 (at least I'm under the impression that i played it rather well) I'm confused about NL10 and it's completely different nature.
  • 6 replies
    • shotalick
      shotalick
      Bronze
      you play FR or SH? here are some nice videos for micro limits SH. read some articles in strategy tab.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/11812

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/11150

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/4361

regards
      Bronze
      I'm playing FR NL10 BSS. The main problem probably lies in showdowns costing more on average, by which I mean I have difficulty with medium made hands, because opponents are more aggressive on NL10 than they were on NL5. I'm usually left guessing whether to fold my TP after a reraise or to keep playing. Sometimes the villain has nothing, sometimes he has a better hand, it's so hard to tell and no longer is it inexpensive to find out.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Watch videos, read articles, attend coaching, ask questions. Don't jump immediately to NL10. Just take shots at it now and then, until you adapt. Haven't played NL10, I prefer SnGs but still, you can't expect to simply start crushing a new limit, whether it's cash games, SnGs or MTTs. Maybe switch to SH if you have a good BR and try learning from TwiceT's project with Eminescu500.
    • h0m1e
      h0m1e
      Bronze
      Same situation as you, just got my BR for NL10 but really big difference, I mean they are very aggressive here,I'll take some shots from time to time to NL10.
      Bronze
      Ha ha, we're facing the same problem :) my amateur view on this is that we really have to become tighter and less aggressive unless we know for sure we won't get reraised in most situations. So either we both get a good read on our opponents, or we simply become less ambitious than we were on NL5. At least that's my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong, please.
    • antonio47211
      antonio47211
      Bronze
      lesson Nr. 1:
      LEARN TO FOLD.

lesson Nr. 2:
      LEARN TO FOLD.

lesson Nr. 3:
      LEARN TO FOLD.

The higher the limits, the more important this becomes. If you've got middle pair + medium kicker on flop, its usually not good. Unless your opponent is a maniac, but you have to be really sure he is.

If your showdowns are costing you too much, then don't call light. Watch table game and check out what hands do people tak to showdown. My HM stats tells me that if pot is >60 bbs, then its about 80% probability winning hand will be stronger than TPTK or overpair.

And never call a bet just because "its only 1 buck, I can't even get a cheezburger for that"