Which poker style gives the best return?

• tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      Hi guys and gals,

I want to become a professional poker player earning a life from poker. Started two days ago :D .

My question is: Which type of game provides the best hourly "rate" if I am willing to invest as much time as needed to learn strategies, rules and examine/improve my gameplay?

- Fixed Limit Hold Em
      - No Limit Hold Em
      - Rush Poker (Limit/No Limit?)
      - Playing anything above multi-table or with higher stakes on one table
      - Anything else?

I really would love to hear your opinions. I want to invest my time in the most profitable possible way.

Or maybe my thought is right that I first should perfect my Limited Hold Em game to "master the mathematics" and afterwards switch over to No Limit, get the hang of the psychologic stuff and become "rich"?

Thanks,
      tjjames12

PS: Please answer.
  • 15 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello tjjames12,

I wrote an answer to a similar question the other day which i think is also applicable to yourself:

The best game to play will be the one that you enjoy playing the most.
      If you decide on a format that you don't really enjoy then you are not going to put in the time and dedication that it will need to succeed at the higher levels.
      You shouldn't really be thinking about making x amounts of money from a particular style at this early stage in your poker education. If you put in the time and dedication to improving your game then the monetary side will come with time but, in my opinion, the most important thing is spending time on learning the game first.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      Hi TheBu11d0g,

thanks for your reply... yeah ok but my motivation is already strong because I need the bucks and because I would prefer poker more than any other "regular job" :-).

Still there is big truth in your reply and I have a follow up question...

the most important thing is spending time on learning the game first.

Lets say I enjoy Limited Hold Em less, because it's really a game of patience :-). Should I still start with Limited Hold Em to learn the mathematics behind poker? Or right dive in to "faster" or "more adrenaline" forms of poker like No Limit or Rush Poker?

And what do you mean exactly with "learning the game first"? Is it reading strategy articles etc... (the theory) or practice or a combination of both?

I am interested in anything I can learn about poker so any source of wisdom is welcome highly!

Thanks,
      tjjames12
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      grind nl2 sss
    • tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      You had success with that AlCaTrAzzALZ? May I ask what your rough hourly or per 100 hand profit was? Did you multi table?
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      As a Limit Hold'em (FL) tragic, can I strongly suggest Sit n Go's (SnGs) as NightFrostaSS suggested in your other thread, or No Limit (NL) as a preference to FL.

I think you'll be more able to make early cash in either of these variants as opposed to FL where it can take a while to really get a handle on the game when you're enduring swings. Personally I wouldn't want to learn FL with the pressure of having to make money (although that could probably as well apply to any variant of poker).

A couple of blogs that might be worth reading to get some idea are:

The return of 8979687 From .25c To A Laptop and the $3.40 SNGs so far!!

for SnG madness, and

! MovE It Move It Up To The Sky ! NOW: NL25 SH

We made it! 1 year as pros!!! Poker Brothers 2010

for NL insanity.

Trust this helps. :f_cool:
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tjjames12
      You had success with that AlCaTrAzzALZ? May I ask what your rough hourly or per 100 hand profit was? Did you multi table?
      play 1 table at a time, for 20 hours a day, for a return of about 12c/hour ;)
    • joshosun
      joshosun
      Bronze
      a "game of patience ".
      u will need patience any way.
      u can start with no limit but start slowlly. with little risk money.
      and learn first!
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      The best money to be made right now is in omaha. Be warned though, the swings in variance are huge and you'll require at least double (treble would be more preferable) the required bankroll for NLHE :s_evil:
    • Kidsoldja
      Kidsoldja
      Basic
      Or maybe my thought is right that I first should perfect my Limited Hold Em game to "master the mathematics" and afterwards switch over to No Limit, get the hang of the psychologic stuff and become "rich"?

SIGH...if only it were that easy bro...
    • tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      play 1 table at a time, for 20 hours a day, for a return of about 12c/hour Augenzwinkern

Oh come on I am serious about the subject so please stay serious too :-/.

a "game of patience ". u will need patience any way. u can start with no limit but start slowlly. with little risk money. and learn first!

I think that are great news. Thanks for ya opinion! I was somewhat frustrated with Limited because if your a newb then the blinds alone eat almost all your profits and when you make a mistake...

So I am going to start with NL :-). Variances are far greater but hell no risk no return right.

SIGH...if only it were that easy bro...

I think life is never easy :-). But if you believe and then start the action... your chances are quite good to achieve anything ya like.

The best money to be made right now is in omaha. Be warned though, the swings in variance are huge and you'll require at least double (treble would be more preferable) the required bankroll for NLHE shark evil

Thanks for the tip! Do you have any additional information why Omaha is even more profitable than normal Hold Em? I am not searching for the math stuff just simple explanation.

But I think for my small bankroll ($50 :D ) NLHE will do the job at first.

Thanks,
      tjjames12

PS: Milking your brains mu-haha.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      it doesnt matter what you choose.. If you're not able to be successful in some poker format, you won't be successful (longterm) in any other, unless you change something. And once you change it and start winning, you'd be able to be winner in other format also (hope it makes sense ^^).

Everyone who works on his/her game is able to beat low stakes (NL100, FL 2/4 etc.) after some time.. If not, he's making something wrong and it wouldnt be much better by if he decides to choose other format either.

So my advice would be: try to play few formats on the lowest possible limit (even play money - but dont overestime it because its far away from what happens on real money tables) and then decide for one. Or maybe just roll a dice to make a decision for you, play it, built bankroll and with some experience and confidence in yourself, you can switch later.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      imo you seem way too optimistic

if i was you..i would read all the articles for bronze and try to understand everything i read so maybe read everything twice
      then start playing $1 (no more for about first week or 2) SitNGo's (maybe 2 or 3 tables) and make sure you follow everything that was in the articles

after a few days you will realise its not all that easy but you will hopefully understand the game much better

considering you're saying you will put a lot of effort in this
      you will lose at the start
      i would say you will lose for the first 2-3 weeks you play
      in the next 2-3 you will get those losses back
      in the third month you will have a much clearer and realistic idea about the game and will probably win a bit

also it takes a lot of studying and practice before you will even reach a winning rate of $1 per hour...i'd say maybe end of second month

i hope i works out better than my estimates but dont make conclusions now considered you know very little about the game

good luck :)
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      if you want to learn patience, sit down for 8 hours, playing nl2 sss on 1 table, you are only allowed to play AA or KK... if you can do that without getting bored, then you might have the patience needed to go far online
    • NietzscheF
      NietzscheF
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlCaTrAzzALZ
      if you want to learn patience, sit down for 8 hours, playing nl2 sss on 1 table, you are only allowed to play AA or KK... if you can do that without getting bored, then you might have the patience needed to go far online
      You really like playing 2nl :D

OT:

Going pro without a maingame is not the right start. You will need one focus instead jumping arround the games you might be intersted to play for grinding. Experience is a key factor to overcome swings, doomswitch, tilting issues and you will find yourself in a spot that you lost confident many times and then switching to a new game isn;t gonne help you out.

Before you going pro, you should make a blog to challenge yourself. Like starting within BRM with a low amount and moving up the stakes. Number of hands you need to play each day and working hard to learn and study to avoid common leaks in your game.

I'll think the best start is to play sng (18/27/45/90/180) and get the feeling of massive multitabling that and use this site to discuse Plus EV moves from postion and dollar EV spots. NL games are pretty much to hard if you dont have a backround in how to use stats probably, and it requires a lot of experience, before you are a (steady) winning player (even on nl2, lol).
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      The best money to be made right now is in omaha. Be warned though, the swings in variance are huge and you'll require at least double (treble would be more preferable) the required bankroll for NLHE shark evil

Thanks for the tip! Do you have any additional information why Omaha is even more profitable than normal Hold Em? I am not searching for the math stuff just simple explanation.

But I think for my small bankroll ($50 :D ) NLHE will do the job at first.

Thanks,
      tjjames12

PS: Milking your brains mu-haha.
      Yup, your $50 bankroll is way too small for Omaha.

Why is Omaha more profitable? There's just way more fish per table. NLHE has become much tougher over the last few years, there's so much information freely available online anyone can improve their game. Less so with Omaha. It's still a relatively raw game where people are taking a stab at it without even knowing the basic rules. They make simple mistakes like forgetting you have to use 2 of your hole cards. They're playing any old rags thinking they're sure to hit something, yeah they do, a raggy 2 pair which many find too hard to lay down. The number of times I've seen people calling raises pre-flop with 4 cards the same suit, why why why? :s_biggrin: . Dont get me wrong, there's still some very good Omaha players but the amount of fish more than compensates.