Poker for a life - in just three months?

• tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      Howdy poker friends,

after I tried to get into the "internet marketing" business for almost four years ;( and not making big bucks from it... I've decided that everything sucks and my only possibility to not become a hobo is to become a professional poker player.

I am a European living in Bolivia and here are my facts:

- I can donate up to 12 hours a day to learn/play poker
      - I need a rough 350$/mo to live like a king
      - I've already know many poker basics but I'm still a "losing player" (lets be honest right...)
      - I have a rough $1200 in my bank account and no source of income
      - After around 4-5 months I will have nothing more to eat
      - I am living in a hotel with shared bath rooms :D

So my question to the poker pros... is it possible to become a "professional/winning" poker player making at least $350 a month in 3-4 months?

I am willing to examine and improve my gameplay, read strategy guides for hours each day and play long hours poker. Please give me ya opinion.
  • 42 replies
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      yes it is posible but its so freakin' hard to do that...i let them pros themselves to tell u as i m not pro
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Easy, but you'd better not go pro until you can earn at least 2k month or so, even if you need way less.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      why not? you ought to read the forum more, look at how much people make from poker and whether it can give u what u want.
    • tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      Easy, but you'd better not go pro until you can earn at least 2k month or so, even if you need way less.

Yeah I agree on you... problem is I have no other chance. The job market here is quite... bad. Lol it's South America. And I am a "Gringo" and I too don't want to work for $1 each day :-D .

So I have to it's my last chance.

yes it is posible but its so freakin' hard to do that...i let them pros themselves to tell u as i m not pro

Thats the sake of earning money the most time isn't it? :-(

How long are you in poker and how much do you earn actually? Do you want to become "pro" too or are you just looking for fun in poker? I am really interested in all the details you can spare with me to motivate me even further!

why not?

Yes I love ya :-).

you ought to read the forum more, look at how much people make from poker and whether it can give u what u want.

This may be a bit misleading... but I think if I can earn $0.2 in 3-4 hours a day at the 0.02/0.04$ limits... than I can make $20 at 2/4$ right or wrong? Still $20 would be enough for me :-).

I just want to set my own hours this is very important to me because I want to become a musician ^^ still becoming the later needs shitloads of money in advance -.-.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Well if you really have to, my advice would be to start with SNG's, i'm a cash player myself and you'll probably want to switch to cash at some point but becoming a good winning cash games player is much harder than SNG imo.

Even Timmay from south park could earn 350/month grinding sngs imo. :D
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Coach
      Coach
      you ought to read the forum more, look at how much people make from poker and whether it can give u what u want.

This may be a bit misleading... but I think if I can earn $0.2 in 3-4 hours a day at the 0.02/0.04$ limits... than I can make $20 at 2/4$ right or wrong? Still $20 would be enough for me :-).

I just want to set my own hours this is very important to me because I want to become a musician ^^ still becoming the later needs shitloads of money in advance -.-.
      FIRST BIG MISTAKE !!!!!
      don't ever think that if you crush or win Xbb/100 at NL 4 you will be doing the same at any other limit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Start playing slowly NL4/NL10 (depending on your bankroll)
      Earn from your mistakes , don't play more than 4-6 tables wether fr or SH.If you play 4 tables be sure not to make the following mistake : raise/limp too many hands because you are bored,If you notice this start playing 6 tables so you raise only decent hands(not meaning to be the nit type with 10 vpip/10pfr)
      start watching low limits videos here at pokerstrategy and try to remember what the coach says,he don't talk only because you will be bored just to watch hands.
    • tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      Hey NightFrostaSS...

You are giving me hope in bad times :-D thanks. Now I just have to check out what SNGs are and then I am going to play some poker tonight. Wohoo!

Keep the tips and opinions flowing my friends. You bring light to the dark and maybe all "wanna-be" "future" cash player like me can learn ALOT!

Thanks,
      tjjames12
    • tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      Hey N0pr3s3n7 ... thanks for ya reply.

FIRST BIG MISTAKE !!!!! don't ever think that if you crush or win Xbb/100 at NL 4 you will be doing the same at any other limit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok yeah I almost thought that :-(.

Start playing slowly NL4/NL10 (depending on your bankroll)

You mean $4 or $10 big blinds right? I think I definitely can't afford that right now. A question... would it be wise to "work myself up the ladder" just start with that $50 starting bonus vom poker strategy and low limits and then move up the money ladder?

Or should I learn how to become a winning player in the low stakes and then "put a big buck" into my account and switch to the higher stakes? Bad idea or good idea?

What size of bank roll (and which limit?) do you recommend if I want to earn at least $350 a month?

Earn from your mistakes , don't play more than 4-6 tables wether fr or SH.If you play 4 tables be sure not to make the following mistake : raise/limp too many hands because you are bored,If you notice this start playing 6 tables so you raise only decent hands(not meaning to be the nit type with 10 vpip/10pfr)

Should I start right from the beginning with such a lot of tables? I think you mean I should first learn how to become a winning player at one table and then scale it up right?

Thanks everyone! You are really helping me a lot!
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi tjjames12 & welcome to the community :) ,

The NL(number) traditionally refers to the maximum buyin (100xBB#) at that level.

NL10 is blinds of 10cents/5cents, maximum buyin of $10
      NL4 is blinds of 4cents/2cents, maximum buyin of $4

#You can of course nowadays get Short stack & Deep stack cash tables, but 100xBB is the traditional maximum.

Sorry haven't read the rest of this thread yet, just thought I'd quickly mention the above so you don't get confused ;)

Best regards,

Bart
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tjjames12
      Hey NightFrostaSS...

You are giving me hope in bad times :-D thanks. Now I just have to check out what SNGs are and then I am going to play some poker tonight. Wohoo!

Keep the tips and opinions flowing my friends. You bring light to the dark and maybe all "wanna-be" "future" cash player like me can learn ALOT!

Thanks,
      tjjames12
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/glossary/SNG
      Don't start tonight, read the articles as soon as you get bronze level, watch bronze SNG videos, learn ICM and then you can play. :)

And well, it won't be super easy, just grinding micro stakes SNG's doesn't require much thinking. You'll have to learn to play at least 16 tables at same time tho.

And plz no whining about bad beats, everyone gets on sick bad runs from time to time, it's really stressful for inexperienced players but all whining will do is make you look like a loser. :P

Aand yeah, start with 50$ capital and build it up while using correct bankroll management, higher stakes games are much tougher and if you'd learn to beat microstakes doesn't mean you'd do well at SSNL+, that's why gradually moving up while imrpoving at same time is best apporoach.
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      Personally, I'd get my butt back to Europe rather than risking my last $1200 hoping to make it big in a game I know so little about, on foreign soil. The last place I want to be is stranded and penniless. Your circumstances maybe different of course.

Is it possible?, yes. Is it likely?, no. Sorry if I sound harsh but when somebody doesn't know what NL4 or NL10 means then it speaks volumes about their inexperience. In your other thread you say you want this after just 2 days of playing, wow...just wow.

My honest advice would be to get yourself financially sorted another way until such a time you do have more online poker experience and you can make a more rational decision. At the moment everything smells of being irrational and somewhat desperate, which will inevitably affect your game sooner or later. If it means returning to Europe, sobeit. At least you can be in a more stable environment whilst improving your game and knowledge. You can always return to your dream once you've cracked it and you know where you're really at in the poker world.
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Coach
      Coach
      Well at the moment I'm playing NL10 Shorthanded and i'm pretty much crushing this limit to win like a decent amount every month as well as i don't play more than 2-3 hours a day and I miss somedays because i feel tired to play good enough.So if you are good enough winning player which needs much of a practice you will be happy playing NL10 even.Also i recommend not to start playing at any of major poker sites like pokerstars and fulltilt for example,because there are too many regulars you will struggle to beat at your level at the moment.Better start playing at some smaller site where there are not as much as regulars.
    • BenderMarko
      BenderMarko
      Bronze
      Why dont you try real life job?
    • tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      Hi tjjames12 & welcome to the community

Thanks mate I am already enjoying it :-).

And well, it won't be super easy, just grinding micro stakes SNG's doesn't require much thinking. You'll have to learn to play at least 16 tables at same time tho.

Sounds good I am already working on the bronze articles. But ... 16 tables at once require a quite good internet connection or? I just have ADSL and I have to spare it with other people too :-(.

You seem to have good experience in micro stake SNGs ... why don't you move up to low/mid stake SNGs?

And plz no whining about bad beats

Never man! I mean... everyone has them. It's just useless to waste my time with that ya :-).

Is it possible?, yes. Is it likely?, no. Sorry if I sound harsh but when somebody doesn't know what NL4 or NL10 means then it speaks volumes about their inexperience. In your other thread you say you want this after just 2 days of playing, wow...just wow.

I've played poker for some years but just quite for fun. You are right I am inexperienced but everyone needs to start right? :-)

Your words give me hope because usually I am on the site of the not likely.

somewhat desperate

Funnily ... thats the story of my life. And I love it :-D . I just started living my dreams and not waiting until they may become truth sometime... reality is that in 4 years of desperate lifestyle I was never hungry and I never had a job.

Start living your dreams today JackxxRatt you will love it! ;)

Returning to Europe is just not an option... I mean Europe sucks and:

Why dont you try real life job?

I AM TOTALLY PROUD THAT I NEVER HAD A REAL LIFE JOB AND I AM NOT GOING TO GET ONE IN THE NEXT 20 YEARS! :-)

By the way it's almost impossible for a foreigner to get "good pay" work here and I am just not willing to work underpaid :D

Better start playing at some smaller site where there are not as much as regulars.

Currently I am playing at 888/Pacific... I've heard there is much fish :-o and my personal observation states that this is true ^^.

Well at the moment I'm playing NL10 Shorthanded and i'm pretty much crushing this limit

That sounds great! Are you playing multi table? I am going to try it soon but I am somewhat unsure if my my internet connection is good enough :-(...

Thanks all for answering. More tips like playing SNGs are highly welcome!

PS: What I am enjoying most is that it seems like most "casual" players (still bronze) recommend to stop trying and do something else while more experienced players (silver and up) make positive comments. It seems like that when a player is really willing to "invest" much time into his poker play... he CAN become a "pro" in time :-).
    • theosis
      theosis
      Bronze
      My man, poker is fun but playing it for a living will no longer make it as fun as you are used to. I am not a pro, but I play for spare cash and I tell you from a personal point of view the swings can get to you at times. Those who rely on poker to put bread on the table are made of steel. Some months you can end at a loss which can be devastating if you need it to eat, etc. All I am saying with this post is consider all your options before taking up poker for a living. It's a hard way to make an easy living they say.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tjjames12

Sounds good I am already working on the bronze articles. But ... 16 tables at once require a quite good internet connection or? I just have ADSL and I have to spare it with other people too :-(.

You seem to have good experience in micro stake SNGs ... why don't you move up to low/mid stake SNGs?
      Well obv you'll need good connection. No need for somehing super fast, just be sure not to disconnect frequently and it'll be fine.

Nah, i actually play heads up cash games, nl100 and a bit of nl200 when in good mood. :) I'm only silver because my main account isn't tracked by pokerstrategy.
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      PS: What I am enjoying most is that it seems like most "casual" players (still bronze)

Being bronze status doesn't necessarily make me any less qualified than a silver + status ;) I first registered here July 2007 and I think my post count would suggest I haven't been very active on this forum or indeed, Pokerstrategy as a whole. When I first came here I received the free bucks on PartyPoker, done enough to move on to the next site with my winnings and have been playing that money ever since. Whilst I'm not a huge winner, I have won enough to "live the dream" in my own comfort zone, 2 month holidays abroad etc. It is possible the pros maybe forget how tough it was to begin with.

My original advice still stands but I'm not here to change your mind, it's your choice afterall.

If you want advice on SNG's, download the free trial version of SNG Wizard, try the quizzes etc. That'll give you some indication of where you're at.

Whilst the free bankrolls are a great way to get started, weigh up your options Vs bonuses, rakeback etc. Receiving rakeback should be your longterm goal on most sites IMO, others might disagree however. In your early days, I'd advise some bonus whoring, it'll help cover your losses while you're still learning although be realistic about how much you think you can clear at the limits you're gonna play. FTP has one of the easiest bonuses to clear plus you can get rakeback there too. They've also been offering quite a few additional bonuses over the last year or so.

Invest in some pokertracking software, especially for cash games. It'll help you see where you're spewing money amongst many other advantages. Not sure what offers are on this site these days but you might be able to get it for free, if not here then elsewhere, simply by playing through enough points.

Good luck.
    • tjjames12
      tjjames12
      Basic
      It's a hard way to make an easy living they say.

Good idiom dude :-). That's great I think you should often choose the "hard way" because it's usually the more rewarding.

Being bronze status doesn't necessarily make me any less qualified

Hey JackxxRatt I definitely did not want to insult you!

I am glad for any advice may it be mind-changing, play improving or just a motivating word.

try the quizzes etc

Just got through the bronze quiz WITHOUT reading the articles :D while I wanted to read the articles I clicked accidently on "start the quiz" and my first try was a success lol.

FTP has one of the easiest bonuses to clear plus you can get rakeback there too. They've also been offering quite a few additional bonuses over the last year or so.

Just registered my $50 to FTP :-) I want to test this Rush Poker thing for sure... even if most poker players seem to dislike it.

Invest in some pokertracking software, especially for cash games.

I have a CheckYourBets account... its free but very basic. Do you use a software that automatically remembers all of your plays? Can you advice a fine one?

Maybe you know CalculatEm? It's not a poker tracking software but seems helpfull for for newbies too...

Todays net win... $0.51 :D
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      Hello tjjames12,

You sound like a nice and honest guy.

I totally love your sentence " I AM TOTALLY PROUD THAT I NEVER HAD A REAL LIFE JOB AND I AM NOT GOING TO GET ONE IN THE NEXT 20 YEARS! :-)"

For all the people who support getting the idea of having 9-5 job read this:
      http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-should-never-get-a-job/

Where are you from originally? Also can i ask you what is your level of Russian language?

Me and TheLastNail want to start studying Russian and we can give you some poker lessons in exchange for Russian lessons :)

You can find more info about us here - Bratislava's pokerflat aka mission: Phil Hellmuth

Gl on the tables,
      silent21