playing on very "cally" tables

• bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      In general what do you on tables where preflop raises are usually called by 2+ opponents and contibetting isn't working so well?

here's my strategy:

-tighten up and raise bigger
      -limp rather than raise speculative hands and low-mid pairs
      -contibet less

i'm keeping this very general i know but any advice?

anyone start open limping low pairs and sc's?
  • 6 replies
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      Last night I played with two asses to my left whose vpip was way over 50%, and wouldn't fold for their life, then donk overbet after the flop. When the pot was small they were less likely to make those huge bets. Don't know how right is this, but I figured that I would try play almost every hand, but keeping the pot as small as possible. Then I played post flop with them, as they clearly weren't that good. I finally won, as they were making big fundamental mistakes. Also they were very easy to float.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      floating OOP? or just from button?

i thought about playing smallball with more hands too, I would be more inclined to do this in cash games than sng though. especially when less than say 60BB deep. dunno though I find Tight and massive bets work ok
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      just stick to the standard strategy, tight and aggressive.

you will be able to value-bet them a lot and they will always pay you off.

no reason to start playing more hands than usual just wait for push/fold and premiums to value-bet with.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Yeah i hate that 2. Against some ppl you got no fold equity at all if you dont push. Then they call you and flop comes 852 and you obviously c-bet and then you get pushed all in and then you're in a shitty spot with AK which is still the best hand most of the time but whit those guys you never know. Considering his playing like 50% of the deck he could easily hit something. Lower limits can get shitty like that.

Personally i avoid this by not raising at all against those unless i have a good hand, and if i dont hit the flop i skip the C-bet and rather bet the turn. If i hit TPTK im willing to go broke most of the time against those type of players.
    • Ultifanatic
      Ultifanatic
      Bronze
      Due to a variety of reasons, I have playing at a few different times than I normally do...This has lead to me seeing some very interesting call stations, with some having over 75%vpip all the way to 3 handed....

Position is huge with these players. In position, value betting your made or huge number of out hands and oop if they are call stations that donk bet alot....check calling top 2 pair on the flop with a dry board can extract alot of chips from some of these donks.

But overall, a standard tight aggressive style is still the best approach. This does not mean to make huge pots, but to raise when you have a good hand, cbet when you hit well and bet for value when they come along with 2nd best...

Since lots of these players either make it close or into the money since they donked out on some all in hand against another of thier own kind. They usually have a lot of chips in the late stages, which in the push fold time, can go down quite quickly to your proper pushes.

If they are not chipped up by late stages, they are usually under 5 bb or out already, so it does not matter.

Muck around all you want with them in a cash game, but in an SnG....best is still to play your premium hands like normal but maybe add a few more speculative flush/straight/pp hands by calling in a 4+ multiway pot. Then value betting when you hit big and giving up right way when you do not.

Wasting chips on 1, 2 or 3 call stations only helps the other 6 players at the table get a chip edge on you.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      b/c of the benefits of the payout structure, on a very loose table you can almost sit out and wait until they knock each other out. seriously easy game. there is no need to try extract value from the fish in these sngs with a wider range of hands.