This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] How to play top pair properly

• winmaster76
      winmaster76
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $10.00
      Hero:
      $10.49
      MP3:
      $2.30
      CO:
      $12.21

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:spade: , K:diamond: . MP3 posts a blind of $0.05.
      BB posted big blind of just $0.05 and is all-in.
      Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, CO calls $0.40, BU folds, SB calls $0.35, BB folds.

Flop: ($1.35) 3:spade: , A:diamond: , 4:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.90, CO calls $0.90, SB raises to $1.80, Hero calls $0.90, CO calls $0.90.

Turn: ($6.75) Q:club: (3 players)
      SB bets $2.20, Hero calls $2.20, CO folds.

River: ($11.15) K:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $3.00, Hero raises to $6.00, SB calls $2.60 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $22.35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and kings (As Kd)
      SB shows three of a kind, threes (3c 3h)

SB wins with three of a kind, threes (3c 3h)

What am I doing wrong in this hand? Should I have folded as soon as he reraised, or did I just get unlucky?
  • 5 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      SB stats look nitty - don't expect him to be raising on a draw (and anyhow you have Kd and hard to put people raising on <K high flush draw). So I think given that its a multiway pot I can muck this hand on the flop knowing that against SB I'm probably up against sets/two pair/combo draw and maybe like AQ?AJ. Anyhow he has many more combos of the monsters than he does AQ/AJ and so I'd just fold the flop.

As played - call river don't raise no value in it.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well I doubt 15/7 guy is MINraising against two guys with AJ. Even AQ is so close. He just too often has set there (I doubt he calls 5d6d pre or A3/A4). But it's still close. I might just call the minraise and evaluate turn.

Well this turn card just kill totally our hand and he's betting so small - I just fold this here.

As played I just call the river.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      hbe's m,inraisinf diockl on a bpox
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      hbe's m,inraisinf diockl on a bpox
      This.

Just kidding, don't listen to drunk guys.

Originally posted by amplifyd
      SB stats look nitty - don't expect him to be raising on a draw (and anyhow you have Kd and hard to put people raising on <K high flush draw). So I think given that its a multiway pot I can muck this hand on the flop knowing that against SB I'm probably up against sets/two pair/combo draw and maybe like AQ?AJ. Anyhow he has many more combos of the monsters than he does AQ/AJ and so I'd just fold the flop.

As played - call river don't raise no value in it.
      This ;)

Hope it helps.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      oh lol, sorry for that one. :D