[NL2-NL10] giving up middle pair

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T, A.
      MP2 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, CO calls $0.50, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.65) K, 8, T (3 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.90, CO calls $0.90, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($3.45) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.70, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.45.

i thought that opponent could have been trying a float here and i was possibly giving up the best hand. he has a 0 fold to cbet flop. i thought that i could have barrelled again on the turn to test his strength and give up to any resistance.
  • 2 replies
    • Mstlc
      There's only 2 main reason to ever bet: for value and as a bluff. The only other reason is capitalising on dead money.

For that reason I think barreling the turn would be a bad idea as it's too thin for a valuebet and this is probably a bad spot to be bluffing. If you're barreling the turn like you suggest you aren't betting for any of the above reason but instead your betting "for information" or something which is just bad.

I agree that if he doesn't fold anything vs a flop c-bet (make sure the sample is big enough) it's very likely that your hand is still good. So I guess you could check/call one street since the turn card is kind of a blank and most people won't barrel the river again on these stakes if you check/call the turn.
    • Kaitz20
      consider how drawy that board is I would c/c turn with hand that can easily be ahead his calling flop, betting turn range and make my decision on the river if I want to call him down or fold