Genkidesuka's Blog - Now titled, "BACK ON TRACK"

• Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Hi peeps. I'm retrying this blog thing, as it will hopefully give me the motivation (or at least force feed me it) to put in some serious volume.

Bit of a backstory, I'm Cameron, from New Zealand (somewhere near Australia, I don't really know either). I'm 18, 3rd year computer science student. Got $50 on Party and then later on Everest. $50 on Party became $170, cashed out and moved to Stars where it became $800. $50 on Everest is now $260. I cashed out from Stars and deposited onto FT for deposit bonus etc. Unfortunately I went looking for freerolls way before I found this site so I am not tracked :(

Anyway, have been mucking around a few different sorts of games. As soon as I logged in for the first time Full Tilt said "try rush and we'll give you a bit of money" so I did. Also been playing $2 hyperturbos, and $4.40 135man rush sngs. I really enjoy playing Rush, as I think I have quite an edge at MTTs. Previously I would play my normal sngs and an MTT or two on the side, and if I did well enough in the MTT (ie nearing final table) I would stop playing sngs and concentrate on the one tournament.

Unfortunately I'm at about $590 with $8ish of my bonus cleared as I have been running particularly badly. First goal is to figure out what game I want to play.

I've tried my hand at everything. SSS on Everest, SnGs on Stars/Party, BSS on Stars, MTTs on anywhere, HU SnGs on Stars/Everest, heck I've even played a bit of FL. I deposited onto FT with the intent of playing SnGs, so I think I'll probably carry that out. Was thinking of playing continuous super turbos but without a reliable opener I might decide otherwise.

Who wants to give me some advice?
  • 63 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      just play cash (BSS), cash is most difficult, fun, thought-provoking, profitable (if you get really good). SSS is extremely dumb, don't learn it.

Tourneys/SnGs are really easy, no postflop skill needed. It is slightly tougher than SSS but still quite brainless. You can learn cash games, then u can play live when you are good and make some money if you luck out at a donkament.
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      I think I will give it a shot. I'm officially on tilt tonight.

Started opening my usual 16 tables for $2 hyperturbos. Busted early on in some extremely brutal ways.

AK vs A7 vs A7. AA vs KQ vs QJ. KK vs JJ. Bolded hands are common in that 1) they all won the pot and 2) they weren't mine.

Quickly unregistered for the remaining 10 that hadn't opened.

I'm an avid multitabler, I love the idea of volume. How many tables do you suggest I play, if I were to play cash? FR would allow me to play more tables but is it worth playing? Thoughts on Rush poker?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      play FR until NL100/200 at Tilt/Stars. It's easy game because everyone plays aggro but rather straightforward (set mine and stack off on flop). Then move to SH after that and struggle more. Then learn some headsup, then move to midstakes. sounds like a good plan
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      play FR until NL100/200 at Tilt/Stars. It's easy game because everyone plays aggro but rather straightforward (set mine and stack off on flop). Then move to SH after that and struggle more. Then learn some headsup, then move to midstakes. sounds like a good plan
      +1 Easy game. :f_cool:
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Okay. First session of NL10 FR is over. I had an exam earlier today so had to wait until now to play any. Didn't go too badly, ran at about 5bb/100. Felt like I could have done better - Actually managed to lose money with AA QQ JJ TT throughout the 1900 hands I played. I think I might have a leak when it comes to overpairs - can't seem to let them go. But I think it's a leak best fixed at higher limits when people won't go broke with TPWK. Until then I'll just put losing to sets down to bad luck.

CURRENT BANKROLL: $579.08
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Another session totalling 2352 hands. Completely crushed it. 17.27BB/100, for a total of $81.24 plus $20.00 of my first deposit bonus unlocked. BETTER THAN GOLDEN!

CURRENT BANKROLL: $680.27 (+$101.24)

I would like opinions on this next hand, however. I'm fairly new to FR NLHE so squeezes are one thing I'm not sure how to deal with. Villain in this hand was a marginally losing reg with 150,000 hands played at this limit. He had also 3 bet me 3 of the 4 last times I had raised.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $10.00
      MP1:
      $6.69
      MP2 (Hero):
      $13.58
      MP3:
      $10.35
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $11.99
      SB:
      $8.75
      BB:
      $13.57

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T, T.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO raises to $2.00, 4 folds, Hero calls $1.50, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($4.75) 2, Q, 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.30, Hero raises to $11.58(All-In)

Is this okay?
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      WOW WHEN I RUN BAD I RUN BAAAAAAAAD

Just lost 4 stacks in about 10 minutes.

Definitely done for today.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I will just 4bet/call with TT-QQ because too many overcards will come on the flop and we won't feel safe. If I had KK/AA I don't mind your play. Worse mistake a beginner can make is to flatcall 3bets OOP with AJ/AQ/TT/JJ, it should only be done if you have a strong 3betcalling range and are able to steal pots even if you miss (really tough when you lack both initiative and position). If villain's 3bet range is too strong, just fold preflop since TT isn't exactly a pretty hand in the first place
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      As I said he was ruthlessly 3betting me, and I thought he was capable of making that squeeze with any 2 cards. Although I guess when I think about it, 4bet/calling in that scenario would have been absolutely fine, and indeed probably better (except this way I might be able to fold out slightly bigger pocket pairs if overcards to both hit).

Guy tanked and eventually called with TT as well.

Have had another exam today so am about to start my next session. Will be grinding a lot over the next week since I have a lot of time before my next one.
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Okay, actually managed to play a huge session of 3700 hands today. Was well worth it too, with my winnings of $55.77 and another $20 bonus cleared. Also looking forward to my rakeback payment because it'll be huge (is it just me, or is low limit rake really huge on FT?)

CURRENT BANKROLL: $709.49
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Forgot to post my results for last session.

Started off doing quite well. Was up at least $30 (by estimate). Then cooler after cooler happened until, 1051 hands later, I was down exactly $0.02.

So I started jamming out on the Guitar Hero that my brother had rented (and not played?) to get rid of some of my tilt. I think it may have worked, as just 872 hands later I was up another $47.00.

Will play a session today after I've had lunch. I'm a bit annoyed actually; I set my alarm to 9:30 to get a serious session in. I only played 872 hands last night because I went out with a bunch of friends afterwards, which is my plan tonight as well. Got woke up by 9:30, tried to hit the snooze button, must have hit the off button as I woke up 3 hours later =/

CURRENT BANKROLL: $756.47
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      you 16table NL10 FR on FTP? I used to do that like half year, but really the number of fishes were so low I couldnt really win much just doing abc poker, regs are shity, but they are too tight, bluffing them out is almost impossible since they just simply dont enter in marginal situations.

about ur TT hand, if you use HEM and the guy's pre 3bet range is like 0-4% then TT is kinda -EV hand, I rarely won that, they usually have QQ+, AK rarely 3bets on FR (just the aggro ones)...against the usual 15/13 guys I just fold that right there, and more then 90% of the time its the best move imo..
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      First session of NL10 today, 1300 hands, up $58.25. Really feel as though I'm crushing this limit. Over 11.5k hands I'm running at 9.48BB/100. Unlocked $20 of my bonus and will be receiving roughly $18 in RB on Friday.

THANKYOU MBML FOR CONVINCING ME TO PLAY BSS!

CURRENT BANKROLL: $834.57

@Lizocain: I 9 table, its about as much as I can do on my 19" monitor. Hopefully will have a one soonish, though I can't decide whether to dual monitor or get a REALLY NICE widescreen with huge resolution. 9 tabling is fine for me because I play sort of LAGgy, play huge amounts of hands in position and steal a lot. It works well and I really enjoy playing it rather than nitting it up.

I would expect the player in particular to 3bet squeeze me with a range like 66+, ATs+, AJo+. He seemed fairly squeeze happy. Stove says I have 53% equity against this range. Not to mention I (assumed) I would fold out JJ.
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Another 1k hands, another $38.27. Not much else to say.

CURRENT BANKROLL: $872.64

Might play some more tonight after I JAM OUT SOME MORE.
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Mm.

2.7k hands later and I'm down $14.91, but up $20 due to more bonus clearing. So net result is I'm up $5.09.

CURRENT BANKROLL: $877.80

How the hell did I just play 5000 hands?!?

Anyway, I think I am developing a massive leak with QQ. Can't seem to get rid of it when I should. I thought I was playing LAGgy but according to PTR I'm playing at 19/14 =/.

Let's say I'm on the button with QQ. From which position original raiser can I 3bet/fold, and from which position onwards should I be 4bet/calling?

How does this change if I'm on the BB?
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Well I posted some QQ hands from last time. Seems I'm being way too aggressive with it. Should save me a bit of money.

Anyway, I recently played 1800 hands and am up $38.30, nearing my next $20 too. I'm not sure when I'll move up to NL25. I'd like to be fairly conservative with my buyin requirements so I'm thinking 50. Anyone have any opinion on that?

CURRENT BANKROLL: $916.10
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Another 1088 hands later and I'm up $58.75, plus $20 of bonus. So close to the $1k mark it's ridiculous!

I'm running short of funds irl so I've decided to cash out my entire Everest roll of $250. This means I will not be able to move up from bronze for a while, unfortunately, as it was my only method of attaining SP. Maybe I'll move somewhere else through PokerStrategy. I hear PKR is fishtown :O

CURRENT BANKROLL: $995.28

I FINISHED THROUGH THE FIRE AND FLAMES ON EXPERT MODE WHOOOOOOO

Quick edit: So far this week, I've made $360 USD, which is approximately $515-520 NZD. Which is more than working full time at min wage will get you. And all at NL10.

Might have to seriously start considering making a living out of this, haha
    • dylboi011
      dylboi011
      Bronze
      nice blog:)
      but pkr is my fishtown stay away lol:f_p:
    • letmewinplz8
      letmewinplz8
      Bronze
      You don't need 50BI BRM for NL25. Move up now whilst you're running good and hope to give yourself a good buffer.