Should the death penalty be re-introduced??

• devilplayer
      devilplayer
      Basic

What do you think?

At the moment the terms dished out for serious crime, like murder, is a joke. There is no real deterrent hence it seems potential killers, especially the young, take the decision to kill lightly.

Today’s events is a good example, 12 innocent people were killed by one man. If he was still alive now and in custody, he will only be facing a very long jail term. Is that fair??

Some here will argue that the death penalty may be wrongly issued to an innocent, but with today’s technology etc this will be very unlikely.

I think its presence is vital, even if it is used for crime like the one committed today. Its presence and potential implementation is a step in the right direction!!
  • 22 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Life in prison cell till death >> death penalty.

But then again, such people cause unnecessary expenses for keeping them alive so i'd say eliminating them would be better.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Life in prison cell till death >> death penalty.

But then again, such people cause unnecessary expenses for keeping them alive so i'd say eliminating them would be better.
      +1

Actually i think it's done pretty good in america. You get like 20 years when you murder someone? Here in Holland you can get like only 6 years for a murder. Which is rediculous..
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      IMO if you kill someone deliberately you should be kept in prison till you die.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      There isn't an excuse for killing someone. But there is always things that can happen that can make it understandable. If someone rapes and kills your 6 year old daughter and you walk in on him with her body could you really blame that person for losing control and killing him?
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      There isn't an excuse for killing someone. But there is always things that can happen that can make it understandable. If someone rapes and kills your 6 year old daughter and you walk in on him with her body could you really blame that person for losing control and killing him?
      exactly

Another example could be someone trying to commit suicide by jumping in front of your car, should you be committed to being a murderer?
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Now that's a very very simplified way to go about it.

Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      Actually yes. It's understandable that the person would freak out, but anger is not an acceptable motive for murder. This is a rather delicate matter and there isn't an absolute answer for every situation, that's why we have courts and correctional facilities.
    • boschman123
      boschman123
      Bronze

Never, Ever !!!

• FaulV16ke
      FaulV16ke
      Bronze
      If you want to answer this question correctly you have to ask what is the main goal of penalties in human society.

When someone commits a crime the best thing society can do is to reclaim a man who commits the crime and if it's not possible, society should keep him in jail so he can't do it again. Revenge makes no sense because it helps nobody.

When you kill somebody (and it doesn't matter what he did) it's just a revenge. It's -EV for society and it has nothing to do with a law, because it's done just for your good feeling and it helps nobody.

The problem could be in a way prisoners are treated. In country where I live, the government pays more money for prisoners' live costs than for students' ones which is sad. This has to be changed not penalties for the crimes.
    • Funkyquartz
      Funkyquartz
      Bronze
      Personally,

I believe that being sent to prison is no punishment at all - you get 3 square meals a day, a roof over your head, a bed and free health care - you don't have to worry about paying bills or getting a job.

Instead, it is us tax payers that have to pay for all these criminals to live a pretty good life which isn't fair.

Based on this I would say yes bring back the death penalty as I would rather the money I pay for tax go on something worthwhile.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      it should, and you should be the first person to be executed.

and then it should be abolished again
    • Funkyquartz
      Funkyquartz
      Bronze
      excuted for giving an opinion to a question that someone asked?

mature.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by Funkyquartz
      excuted for giving an opinion to a question that someone asked?

mature.
      didn't mean you, meant OP
    • Funkyquartz
      Funkyquartz
      Bronze
      ah i see! sorry :)
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Only for assholes who open raise with K7os......or those who RR with 33...
    • wildfool
      wildfool
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Funkyquartz
      Personally,

I believe that being sent to prison is no punishment at all - you get 3 square meals a day, a roof over your head, a bed and free health care - you don't have to worry about paying bills or getting a job.

Instead, it is us tax payers that have to pay for all these criminals to live a pretty good life which isn't fair.

Based on this I would say yes bring back the death penalty as I would rather the money I pay for tax go on something worthwhile.
      because clearly, people are lining up at police stations asking to be placed in prison...

this kind of argument is just silly. prison is not a hotel. it's a place no one wants to go. if it were such a great place, why dont you take advantage of it and get yourself arrested?

also, in the USA where the death penalty is alive and well, it costs more to kill someone than to keep them locked up in prison for life. (one of the main reasons being that because death is irreversible and society doesnt want to kill the innocent, the judicial process takes longer.) so if all you are concerned with is money, you should probably not support the death penalty.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Originally posted by andyb43
      Only for assholes who open raise with K7os......or those who RR with 33...
      hello great poker player
    • RottPete
      RottPete
      Bronze
      Two wrongs don't make a right.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RottPete
      Two wrongs don't make a right.
      There is no wrong or right
    • ihufa