[NL2-NL10] folding top pair against aggressive loose player

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, Q.
      Hero raises to $0.15, CO folds, BU calls $0.15, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.37) 6, A, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, BU raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.87) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.30, Hero calls $1.30.

River: ($4.47) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $2.85, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.47.

opponent is known to be aggressive and loose. it was likely that his bets could have meant any 2 pair or a completed flush. i thought i could have block betted the river in hope of a cheap showdown.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Frankly without even knowing if you meant decent-good lag or bad lag it's just a mess in my head, and even knowing that there are still a wide variety of lags out there. Some will float you with anything but won't dare raising A-high flops without a decent piece of it, some don't care at all and just want to bluff-raise anything and so on.

No matter which category he falls in, you're likely to make a mistake somewhere along the way if you don't know how he plays. Could be you're always behind on the flop to begin with, could be he's going to empty the clip with airballs no matter what and you risk folding the best hand.

When you're playing against a good lag it's a lot more complicated than it looks. The reason being good lags that bluff-raised the flop will realize two things: first you very likely have Ax or a flushdraw when you c-bet/call the flop, and second the flushing turn card is a good opportunity to bluff you off Ax when he has nothing. Depending how willing he is to follow through with his bluffs, he might or might not try to take you off your top pairs by firing 3 barrels, since when you don't check/shove the turn he can put you on mostly Ax, making him more confident he's not bluffing into the nuts.

Personally I think that once you call the turn you should call off the river for that price. By the river I don't expect many people at nl5 to be able to value-jam the river with flopped sets after the flush came in on the turn, even smallish flushes start getting worried that you have a higher flush. So his range should be very polarized to a nutted flush or a bluff, and since your opponent cannot have the nuts due to you having the Qh blocker in your hand, it's a lot more likely he's just full of shit assuming he was capable of having a bluff on the flop to begin with. Many people wouldn't even raise the flop with just JhXh.

If you don't want to call that river, then I'd say just fold the turn. You don't have that much equity with your redraw and your opponent's range is reduced to a made flush and air for the most part, maybe a few sets in there that aren't yet scared of the flush.

Hope it helps.