[NL2-NL10] folding to re-raise on dry flop

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, K.
      MP3 raises to $0.15, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, MP3 calls $0.35.

Flop: ($1.02) 6, 6, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, MP3 raises to $1.60, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.57.

opponent is known to be aggressive on the flop, yet i dont beat any pair. opponent also has low fold to flop cbet, does it mean i shouldnt bet the flop?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Well first off it's a 3-bet pot, which means that first he's probably not as aggressive postflop in that spot as he is in normal raised pots, and second you need to start at the begin with his 3-bet calling range.

I'd probably give him all medium to high pocket pairs as well as decent broadway cards like AQs maybe KQs/AK for calling there preflop since he looks more like a reg than a fish so far, and I just don't think he's raise/folding that flop too often after putting in half his stack. Even tho we have blockers to KK+ I think you're gonna see him show up with a premium somewhat often and even if he's doing that with a lower pocket pair he's not planning on folding it imo, so I wouldn't mess with the raise unless he's calling wider preflop and so aggressive that I'm pretty sure he can be on a pure bluff there, in which case you can just shove on him and expect him to fold enough with a few overcard outs as backup the times he doesn't.

As for whether we should even bet that flop to begin with I'd say yes further without reads, since I'm assuming he calls preflop with more than just pocket pairs and you don't want to start check/guessing with AK-high against a guy you perceive as aggressive, because you can't stand multiple barrels and he could very well fire them with bluffs. If he's calling so tight that he pretty much always has a pair than you're likely better off check/folding unless you plan on firing twice/thrice, because he won't fold a pair to just a flop c-bet.

Hope it helps.