A strategy I intend on trying, opinions?

• DomenViBritannia
      DomenViBritannia
      Bronze
      Well I was thinking what to do to get to $100 from my current $60 BR, I thought of doing the following:

- Play 10-20 cash games a day, with a buy in of $2, wait until I have $2,50 or even a bit less, then quit that table and continue with a new one. And to only play premium hands - a few of those and I'm definitely up $0.50. Then leave the table. I'm not sure whether to play 6 or 9-handed games..

-Play a few SNG's (I have been playing SNG's only for the past three weeks - from when I started playing poker online and more seriously).

-Play a MTT here and there.

I play at FTP by the way.

What do you think?
  • 12 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      just choose cash games BSS/SSS, SNG or MTT, sit and play. no strategy required, you think too much
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by supeyrio
      you think too much
      =) =)
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It's good to think a lot... He's planning to much. It's a big difference. Just play what feels good. Although the $2 to $2.5 is not a good idea at all, as far as I'm concerned. You'll lose more from posting blinds 'till you get a good hand and players to pay you off.

Basically, all you have to do to get your BR from $60 to $100 is win $40. Doesn't really matter how if that's you main objective: playing great, just running hot, or sucking out. I say go for SnGs and keep studying to improve you game. I think it's hard to get a good profit from NL2 because suckouts happen very often, so you need to put in a great amount of volume. If that's not a problem for you, go for cash NL2, but 1k hands a day might not be enough.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!
    • DomenViBritannia
      DomenViBritannia
      Bronze
      You're right, waiting for the perfect hand won't do. I'll just play poker and quit the table when I'm up a fair amount.

I noticed I like cash games better than SNG's since cash games are more relaxing, the blinds are the same all the time, so there is no fuss of going all in and what not. Of course I'll play a SNG's here and there, maybe once-twice a day, but that's it.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      it's not that you think too much, it's just that you think about irrelevant things
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      remember for MTT you need about 100 BI

I love MTT and SNG cos I love varience, cash games are good for grinding out $$ (or losing very slowly in my case) but you'll never triple or more your bankroll in one day like you can with MTT...

but just play and use good BRM ALWAYS. In my opinion using good BRM is the most important skill in poker and can be surprisingly hard to master when you have a small bankroll
    • gormless
      gormless
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DomenViBritannia
      I'll just play poker and quit the table when I'm up a fair amount.
      Unless you tend to go really scared and tilt when deep stacked, don't do that.
      If you keep playing your A game being deep stacked is very +ev on micros.
      Unless you have a maniac or fishy table image you can take down a lot of pots without contest.
    • dlrec
      dlrec
      Bronze
      Buy 60$ of BP stocks and wait 2 months and then sell them.

While you wait, enter those play money SnG's.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I'd sell those BP shares now if I were you. Buying might be a mistake!
    • DomenViBritannia
      DomenViBritannia
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the advice.

I guess I am tilting right now, and decided to play ONE table only until I start winning and until I am still a beginner.

Will play SNG's, cash games, MTT's.
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      it's not that you think too much, it's just that you think about irrelevant things
      +1
      You are thinking about your BR when you should be thinking about how well you are playing.

turning $60 into $100 is a 66% increase to your bankroll. This, given variance, could go quickly or could take quite some time. You should be prepared for both possible outcomes. The more you study, the more likely it will go fast, as your edge will increase.

Simply going on a heater to get from $60 to $100 in a day or two is not good poker, and won't serve you well in the future.
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      Given you're a beginner I think you should try to stick with 1 format only, in your case cash games as that's what you seem to enjoy most. For a lot of noobs it's difficult differentiating the different strategies between formats and they tend to play the same game whatever the format which is basically giving money away. Master your current level and then find something else with the full knowledge you can always return to a level you're capable of beating when/if things go belly up.