How you guys deal with downswing/bad beats??

• ollimacgja
      ollimacgja
      Bronze
      Man, i´m completly stunned here...

My day was starting Ok...i did lost some cash in some bad calls but i was able to play ok...

So i entered an 1k gtd for fun...at the first 10 hands..nothing...ok

Than...QQ

Great...i went all-in, two players called, AQ :spade: s KTo....

Okay...well, i´m on the run here...

Flop comes QT2(the duece of :spade:) ...

Then on the turn and river....2 more :spade:

I lost, i got pissed off...got eliminated...

I´m still cursing the guy...but i´m not playing...trying to let some steam off here..

So..how you guys deal with it?
  • 24 replies
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      Thats actually pretty normal, when I get a very strong hand I just know that my percentage of being beaten by a badbeat becomes pretty high :P

Its just normal... how to deal with it?
      Just say to yourself... "Oh well, at least I played the right way and I am going to win on the long term"
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Just relax, calm down and imagine a peaceful place. Imagine a clear sky above a beautiful lush green valley with a shallow river running through it. The water is clear as a mirror. Slowly inhale as you immerse yourself into that peaceful place. Imagine drowning your opponent in the clear river. You're choking him, holding his head underwater as you relax and let the air freely flow in and out of your lungs. Feel the comfort of a serene environment around you and open your eyes. You'll feel much better.
    • ollimacgja
      ollimacgja
      Bronze
      Imagine drowning your opponent in the clear river. You're choking him, holding his head underwater as you relax and let the air freely flow in and out of your lungs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I´ll always remember this.... :D

ROFLMAO

Don´t forget the background music..."It´s a wonderfull world"....

HAHAHAH
    • RottPete
      RottPete
      Bronze
      Originally posted by strosdegozJust say to yourself... "Oh well, at least I played the right way and I am going to win on the long term"
      Spot on mate ;)
    • gordy1957
      gordy1957
      Bronze
      I dont deal with it I go on tilt.
      currently I am on a downswing and I am pulling my hair out.
      a mile ahead after the turn.....a mile behind after the river.
      trying to ride it out ,but its soooo hard watching my bankroll shrink and resisting the WTF feelings.
      still I am ahead and it wasnt my money in the first place so keep on grinding nothing to lose right?
      cheers all Gordy.
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      I received many, many bad beats today in my 3,000k hands section, the worst thing is that I get bad beaten at the tables where I hold the biggest amount of money X(
    • DiSpirit
      DiSpirit
      Bronze
      I find it even hard to imagine, how multiple bad beats in a row or even a downswing could not make an impact on a person (Even when watching pros play, you can see how their faces/body language/voice tonality changes after lady luck plays a joke on them). Sometime ago I read on this forum "If getting crushed in quads vs quads situation doesn't get you tilting, you'r a no longer a human, but a machine" (or something close to that)

Had a couple of bigger swings in the last couple of months and I think I dealt with them alright (tho tilt, mad mood, anger was not avoided):

1. Stopped current session (After realizing I was tilting)

However, in sessions after that and even next day even couple of bad beats got me very angry and tilting, so

2. Stopped playing for couple of days (My judgment was compromised)

I'm very into self-delopment, self-help so got couple of books on zen, mastering emotions. Not that I was sure it will help, but had to put my mind into other things

3. Concentrate on other parts of your life for those days

This helped to manage anger/state but there was another problem, the swing wasn't over and I was still losing money. Was afraid to turn on poker platform/join tables and that's definitely not +EV. For this, I started thinking why I'm playing poker in the first place. I don't care about becoming "celebrity pro", but poker will pay for my living expenses and other projects. Now, I'm 100% sure this will happen no matter what, so just thinking about it pumped my state and the it's hard to think anything but poker

4. Put things into perspective: Why you play this game? What are your goals? Is it worth it to stick through the bad times?

The last point imo is just something you need to always consciously remind yourself

5. Swings will come and go, it's just about how fast you can recover and how well you can control their damage

Oh, and one more superstition I have

6. STAY AWAY FROM DOWNSWING FORUM (Why would I ever want to read about someones loses, I'll have more than enough of my own; it just puts your mind in a bad place)

Hopefully, someone will find helpful ideas
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      if everyday there is someone who wins a grand lottery at some almost impossible probability, do you not think that one hitting a one outer is not too uncommon at all?
      in a 45 numbers, pick 6 out of 6 numbers to win the grand prize, lottery, the odds of winning is 1 in 8,145,060.
      the odds of a one outer on the river is 1 in 46.
      does taking a beat really feels so bad?? if so maybe you're playing at a limits outside your comfort zone. unfortunately for the NL2 players, i dont think that you can go much lower; maybe play money, i doubt you'd feel too bad if you got bad beat. :f_cool:
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      I let out my rage and keep playing. If I sense my play has been affected I stop playing.

I let it out by smashing my hand against the table, shouting out in the room etc. It makes me feel better for some reason.
    • HannesNL
      HannesNL
      Bronze
      I play better
    • BCShad0w
      BCShad0w
      Bronze
      I will always remember one bad beat of mine. I held a AKo and the other opponent held a AAo. Flop dealt: A, Turn: K and River K.

I remember never folding a KA with a top pair and then seeing the two kings just pop out of no where. I was even more stunned to see two kings right beside each other.

Anyhow, as you'd think, I raised all in on the river being extremely confident I had the nuts. Cards got put down, my heart sunk.

I was 18 at the time!

I've had many bad beats but this is by far, my the one I remember most. I've just learnt to let it go. There's nothing I, nor you can do. I've learnt to make a decision and never look back. If it's wrong, I start again. I've also learnt not to become connected to my cards, nor the table [this has come from playing and maturing, I'm now 20].

I fully understand how it hurts much, much more when playing in an MTT or in a Ring Game. Head up, because as you stated, it was a bad beat.

[Then again, I've also bad beat people... my KAd V 89d. Flop: Jd7d9s, Turn: 10d, River: Qd... That Royal Flush must of crushed him.]

/Chez
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BCShad0w
      I will always remember one bad beat of mine. I held a AKo and the other opponent held a AAo. Flop dealt: A, Turn: K and River K.
      /Chez
      You would have lost to the offsuit (lmao) aces anyway, he had a full-er house. Kings full of aces.
      I would suggest learning you're hands before you play ;)

as for the origional posters beat, this is unlucky and i know exactally how you feel. About to go deep in you're first tournament and you get it in great and that sh*t happens, you just have to get used to it, especially if you're planning on playing alot and working on you're game.
      Good luck in the future ^^
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      say "FUUUUCK", punch my bed/pillows over and over, throw in some elbows. then log off (if im smart) or tilt away some more
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DiSpirit
      Why would I ever want to read about someones loses
      To make fun of them ldo
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      well it depends on my mood. If I'm having a bad day or running bad for a while I mostly get a bit frustrated but when I feel good and playing my A-game it doesn't effect me at all. I just think about if I play the situation correctly if so I just focus on the next game if not I see what I could have done better and try that the next time to improve my game and then focus on the next game.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Originally posted by HannesNL
      I play better
      And more. And more. And then a bit more.
    • BCShad0w
      BCShad0w
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      /Chez
      You would have lost to the offsuit (lmao) aces anyway, he had a full-er house. Kings full of aces.

as for the origional posters beat, this is unlucky and i know exactally how you feel. About to go deep in you're first tournament and you get it in great and that sh*t happens, you just have to get used to it, especially if you're planning on playing alot and working on you're game.
      Your point is valid, however, if you read, I was only 18 and immature... As soon as saw KA, I wasn't folding. Lol... Now a day, I have no problem folding KA if I feel beat, better cards and draws will come my way with patience!!!

I also find it easier the recognise draws and plays better than I used to, it all comes with learning from my mistakes!

/Chez
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      /Chez

Your point is valid, however, if you read, I was only 18 and immature... As soon as saw KA, I wasn't folding. Lol... Now a day, I have no problem folding KA if I feel beat, better cards and draws will come my way with patience!!!

I also find it easier the recognise draws and plays better than I used to, it all comes with learning from my mistakes!

/Chez
      how is AKo losing to AA(offsuit) a bad beat?
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by supeyrio
      /Chez

/Chez

how is AKo losing to AA(offsuit) a bad beat?

Exactly, losing to AA suited would be a bad beat.