Beginners - In praise of SNG's!

• jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Hi Guys,

A thread for beginners.

I still class myself as a beginner and have been grinding away, so I know how difficult it is to get started in this game.

As a beginner you want to play cards, you want to be in hands - that is what we are here for and that is why beginners (despite all the advice) play way to many hands!

I started with SSS and I would wait and wait and wait for a starting hand! And when I got one I would go all in as described in the strategy articles - and because I played so few hands variance was a major factor!

I would win a bit and lose a bit but I was going nowhere.

With experience I won more often and then tried BSS - that is a whole new proposition, because you have decisions to make! But by sticking to the charts I did okay - nothing spectacular.

But I wanted to play more hands and that impatience would get me in the end and I would stray from the charts or get involved in inappropriate hands from the blinds. Or I would play so few hands and waited so long that I couldn't fold QQ or JJ, even when I knew I was probably beat.

I wanted more action, so tried multi-tabling, but I found that I wait and wait and then all the action would happen at the same time!!!! I would make mistakes!

Then I found it..... The Holy Grail........ Sit and Go Tournaments!

SNG's are great because you can play tight, but you know that at some stage you are going to have to play and you are going to playing in marginal situations.

So you have the best of both worlds - playing tight and getting ITM (In the money) plus the rush of playing in more marginal situations, which if they come off can have a great effect on your bankroll.

Since I started playing SNGs (375) I have quadrupled my initial stake and you can do the same if you:

1) Practice good bankroll management

2) Use the facilities on here - articles, hand assessment; videos: ICM

3) Play aggressively but from position.

4) Ask questions in the forum - members advice has improved my play significantly.

Good luck at the tables!

Jass

5) I forgot 5.............

Take notes!!!! Lots of notes!!

I am playing at a table with a complete rock - he/ she could have AK and AK flop and still wouldn't bet!!!!!! But, if she (I am guessing she) comes into the pot - have the nuts or be scared!

On the same table is an idiot (well actually I have just cleaned him out) he will chase OESD all the way to the river (and did!) or go all in at 10/20 level. with A3s.

Know your enemy!!
  • 7 replies
    • RottPete
      RottPete
      Bronze
      What a great post!

Food for thought as well as I personally am thinking about moving from the rollercoaster that is SSS...thanks for your ideas :)
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RottPete
      What a great post!
      Praise indeed.......
      :D :D :D

Thanks
    • SeriousThreat
      SeriousThreat
      Bronze
      Well I'm SnG and MTT player, but I thought to start to play cash games, because I'm not sure, if I will be able to clear my bonus only with SnG.
      Is it really possible to clear it only with SnG's and MTT's? Taking in account,that I'm not serious poker player, I don't play more than one table and not more than two hours a day.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      @SeriousThreat: In order to clear your bonus you'll have to multitable at some point. You have a few months to clear it so I think you could try SNG but not berfore reading a lot of the articles and practicing the ICM. Good luck!
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SeriousThreat
      Well I'm SnG and MTT player, but I thought to start to play cash games, because I'm not sure, if I will be able to clear my bonus only with SnG.
      Is it really possible to clear it only with SnG's and MTT's? Taking in account,that I'm not serious poker player, I don't play more than one table and not more than two hours a day.
      No you won't clear your bonus by playing SNG's but making money should be the objective and any bonus cleared - just that a bonus. If you want to clear bonus then you should multi-table cash tables using BSS, but you run the risk losing your bankroll if you are just chasing bonus.
    • SeriousThreat
      SeriousThreat
      Bronze
      Thanks. I got this idea to make profit as much as I can and forget about clearing 50$ bonus. But isn't there some poker clients where this profit looses,if you fail clearing 50$ bonus?
    • Dvince900
      Dvince900
      Global
      ok i got the idea that it is a good place for me as i am a new player. I am thankful to you for telling how to earn money.