Holding AA and KK disturbs your judgement too?

• blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Just got a bad beat while holding AA. I don't remember what happened right now, but some donk called my raise with nothing and got lucky on the board. I'm so angry I can't remember. Two other examples from the past weeks when holding aces were going all-in and being called by 68s one time and 34d on another occasion. In both I lost for flushes on the river and got VERY pissed.

But that's luck... whatever. No need to discuss...

The problem is when I am holding AA or KK and a board comes J59 rainbow, let's say (and we can apply this same line of thought to any other aparently harmless board). All of a sudden somebody goes beserk and I keep raising or calling. In the end the guys has 3 fives, 3 jacks or 2 pair. It happened to me on several occasions.

I noticed that my judgement of the situation gets a little cloudy when I'm holding overpairs. In the example above I'd do the same mistake if holding QQ too.

Am I the only one with this problem???

PS: I've been playing for 45 days on NL2.
  • 18 replies
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      you can safely bet/fold every street with TP/OP in micros

Cheers

edit: on dry boards ofc. on wet boards you need to put some drawing hands in his range
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      When people go beserk (certainly on NL2), they have something better than 1-pair. So it seems to me that you overplay your big hands. Pre flop there the nuts but post flop its just 1-pair ;) So if you can get it in preflop its da bomb, otherwise be a bit cautious.

T.
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      I only think its normal since you have apparently the best hand on the board.
      If your opponent becomes too aggressive you might want to stop and think for a second also if you have a read on them and you know that they are holding three of a kind or a higher over-pair then do not hesitate and fold.

I play SSS on NL10 and I get into this situation very often, must of the time I can tell what my opponent is holding so instead of bet / raise, I start to check / call and even fold if my opponent gets too aggressive.
    • darkrum18
      darkrum18
      Bronze
      your probably not raising enough preflop to get them off J6.

and AA will get cracked millions of times, its just part of poker.. just make the most of the ones you win
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      Originally posted by strosdegoz
      I only think its normal since you have apparently the best hand on the board.
      If your opponent becomes too aggressive you might want to stop and think for a second also if you have a read on them and you know that they are holding three of a kind or a higher over-pair then do not hesitate and fold.

I play SSS on NL10 and I get into this situation very often, must of the time I can tell what my opponent is holding so instead of bet / raise, I start to check / call and even fold if my opponent gets too aggressive.
      dont get me wrong but if ur playing sss how can u be folding overpairs with less than 14 bigblinds in ur stack after the initial raising, im not expert at all on sss but id assume thats an easy bet/callallin/raiseallin flop with AA

anyhow, i have similar problems but im getting better at it, the problem at the NL10 is a LOT of the time it wont be a 3xreraise, but a minimum reraise (often a checkreraise) making it pretty damn hard to fold when you have such good odds to call, then if u raise turn u get shoved on and its like damn... call... 'FUCKING ASSHOLE', or if u check and faced with a 2/3 bet its like damn..... allin (cos u know if u call ur stack will be in by the river anyway).... 'FUCKING ASSHOLE'
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      I am playing SSS with 40bb stack, so the game changes a lot!

I play on PS and the tables are better on that category because on the 20bb category everyone is a short stacker.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkrum18
      your probably not raising enough preflop to get them off J6.
      At micros this is at times is not exactly true.

I've had some bad beat the last week and the one that tilted me was when after my 3bet pre flop with QQ I was called by a limper, on a xQ3 rainbow flop I check, he raise, I re-raise, he calls. 3 on the turn, I'm all-in, he calls. 3 on the river gave him the quad, he had J3.

With J3 he called my 3bet pre flop and with lower pair he called my re-raise on the flop. Obviously you want these people to call you, but sometimes they just luck out.
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze

I play on PS and the tables are better on that category because on the 20bb category everyone is a short stacker.
      Just man up and play BSS, SSS (PS version) is only effective because of the stacksize.
    • summermonkey
      summermonkey
      Bronze
      Do not get upset when your Aces are cracked. Majority of the time, you would win. Micro stakes players are looser and they get lucky sometimes. However, over a larger number of hands, your poker earnings graph should be upwards. Maybe you can try getting stats so you can differentiate fishes and put players on hands. Hope this helps!
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global

lol at folding an overpair when you only have a 40bb stack, there aren't even many situations where you should be folding top pair.
    • stewil007
      stewil007
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      When people go beserk (certainly on NL2), they have something better than 1-pair. So it seems to me that you overplay your big hands. Pre flop there the nuts but post flop its just 1-pair ;) So if you can get it in preflop its da bomb, otherwise be a bit cautious.

T.
      Can't agree with that, been playing a lot of NL2 recently and seen a lot of action with middle pair against high card.....being agressive for the sake of it. They certainly aren't playing with better than 1 pair.

Fair play to them tho, because in some cases its knocked me off the best hand, simply because i haven't got enough notes on all the hyper players to know who i'm up against. Although playing the waiting game is the best strategy for me. I'll happily lose 5 or 6 rounds of blinds waiting for QQ+ so that i can get HU against 1 loose cannon.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      [quote][i]
      The problem is when I am holding AA or KK and a board comes J59 rainbow, let's say (and we can apply this same line of thought to any other aparently harmless board). All of a sudden somebody goes beserk and I keep raising or calling. In the end the guys has 3 fives, 3 jacks or 2 pair. It happened to me on several occasions.

I noticed that my judgement of the situation gets a little cloudy when I'm holding overpairs. In the example above I'd do the same mistake if holding QQ too.

Am I the only one with this problem???

[/quote]
      Man on dry board u cannot fold your Kings or Aces because they are to often to good. So push and you will loose some time but it doesnt metter. In overall you are going to create much profit with KK and AA.

But be careful how u play them....maybe you become to passive when holding those hands or something similar.

You can play your aces and kings with closed eyes.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      That's true. I decided that whenever I'm given QQ+, I can be pretty sure I'll start off with the best hand, but I'll also need to be very careful about my own excitement about it. Careful reading and thinking will be twice as necessary than if I was just holding, say, top pair and top kicker.

Thanks for the insights, people!
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      ...donk called my raise with nothing and got lucky on the board. I'm so angry I can't remember.

There's your problem. Instead of tilting, take notes of villain's play and adjust in the future. Accept variance and crush your limit. Amen.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      [quote][i]
      Can't agree with that, been playing a lot of NL2 recently and seen a lot of action with middle pair against high card.....being agressive for the sake of it. They certainly aren't playing with better than 1 pair.[/quote]I completely agree with that, I commented this too on the cont bets in micro thread. If people are calling your bets with overpair or even top pair keep betting the majority of cases. Most of the time, at least on the micros they're holding mid pair at best or low pair or just a high card. The only reason to stop and/or control the pot a little and reevaluate would be something fishy going on - you think he's holding trips, his draw might have come out, a shove, etc.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      ...donk called my raise with nothing and got lucky on the board. I'm so angry I can't remember.

There's your problem. Instead of tilting, take notes of villain's play and adjust in the future. Accept variance and crush your limit. Amen.
      You're right, jackalof. I'll do this. That's the reasonable attitute. Thanks a lot.

Just logged off from PS now. In the last hand I had AQd, the board came JQ5 (both J and Q were diamonds), a loose-psicho-maniac guy with 50bb shoved, I called, he had A2d, suited. Ridicuous gamble. His third diamond came on the turn and he won with a flush. Had to log off after that. Historicaly, as my PT shows, mondays are my bad days, saturdays the good days. Don't know why.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said something very funny about that long-run thing that a guy doing a gamble like this is a loser player in the long-run. We were talking about a similar situation he was into on Full Tilt... his answer was: "I wish I could play heads-up against the same asshole in a long-run of 1000 hands!". :s_biggrin:
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof

This is the best strategy!!!

I have just played some hands against a real donk - when I joined the table and waited for BB to come to me I watched everyone's play and took notes.

He chased gunshots straight draws and flush draws like crazy, went all-in from anywhere but I just waited for the good hands and took him down.

Got another one next to me now who chased Q8s to the river with Zip and got a lucky Q to beat my JJ, but his time will come!!!!

Update:: He's gone - someone beat me to him lol
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stewil007
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81

T.
      Can't agree with that, been playing a lot of NL2 recently and seen a lot of action with middle pair against high card.....being agressive for the sake of it. They certainly aren't playing with better than 1 pair.

Fair play to them tho, because in some cases its knocked me off the best hand, simply because i haven't got enough notes on all the hyper players to know who i'm up against. Although playing the waiting game is the best strategy for me. I'll happily lose 5 or 6 rounds of blinds waiting for QQ+ so that i can get HU against 1 loose cannon.
      OK fair enough. Well a lot depends on the villain of course. My previous post was based on the calling stations typo villians which I see the most on NL2 (my perception). I see them c/c alot and dont find the raise button until the have a big hand.

On the other side there also lots of aggro donks there as well. Against then your TP or OP will be enough most of the times.

T.