This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH- 87s MP3

• Jeffers16
      Jeffers16
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $0.80
      BB:
      $4.56
      Hero:
      $2.17

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8:heart: , 7:heart:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.07, 2 folds, SB calls $0.06, BB calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.21) 3:spade: , 5:heart: , 7:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.45) 6:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($1.05) 9:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.48, BB calls $0.48.

Final Pot: $2.01

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, nine high (8h 7h)
      BB shows a pair of deuces (2c 2s)

Hero wins with a straight, nine high (8h 7h)

On the flop his bet looks like he has definitely hit something. I felt he could either have an over pair or a set. I didn't think a straight was very possible due to his VP$IP being quite low so couldn't see him calling preflop with 46.

On the turn I'm not sure whether I should call this, I have picked up a straight draw and I thought that since he seemed quite tight if I did hit a straight I could probably get him to call a reasonably sized river bet.

On the river the 3rd spade made me decide to bet a bit smaller than I would have since if he did have a set or over cards (which I think his check meant he did) he would be less inclined to call a big bet since both flush and straight draws got there.

So was my turn call OK and could I have bet more on the river? Or anything else I should have done completely differently?

Thanks
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I like your play overall and I agree with your assessment of villain's range for the most part. I still think it's possible he talks himself into overcalling with 64s sometimes given the odds and he probably doesn't show up with QQ+, but 99-JJ/sets are all hands he could be playing like that.

On the river the 4-straight scares a lot of people more than the backdoor flush getting there, so with the 2 happening together I think it's fair to make a small valuebet that's more likely to get called.

Hope it helps.