Stack
      SB:
      $0.80
      BB:
      $4.56
      Hero:
      $2.17

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8:heart: , 7:heart:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.07, 2 folds, SB calls $0.06, BB calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.21) 3:spade: , 5:heart: , 7:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.45) 6:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($1.05) 9:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.48, BB calls $0.48.

Final Pot: $2.01

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, nine high (8h 7h)
      BB shows a pair of deuces (2c 2s)

Hero wins with a straight, nine high (8h 7h)

On the flop his bet looks like he has definitely hit something. I felt he could either have an over pair or a set. I didn't think a straight was very possible due to his VP$IP being quite low so couldn't see him calling preflop with 46.

On the turn I'm not sure whether I should call this, I have picked up a straight draw and I thought that since he seemed quite tight if I did hit a straight I could probably get him to call a reasonably sized river bet.

On the river the 3rd spade made me decide to bet a bit smaller than I would have since if he did have a set or over cards (which I think his check meant he did) he would be less inclined to call a big bet since both flush and straight draws got there.

So was my turn call OK and could I have bet more on the river? Or anything else I should have done completely differently?

Thanks
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I like your play overall and I agree with your assessment of villain's range for the most part. I still think it's possible he talks himself into overcalling with 64s sometimes given the odds and he probably doesn't show up with QQ+, but 99-JJ/sets are all hands he could be playing like that.

On the river the 4-straight scares a lot of people more than the backdoor flush getting there, so with the 2 happening together I think it's fair to make a small valuebet that's more likely to get called.

Hope it helps.