Poker specialisation?

    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.01.2010 Posts: 238
      Hi guys an girls! Here's a question aimed mostly at the more experienced ones among you... I assume that most experienced players tend to play mostly one type of poker, i.e. limit or NL and they also have a strong preference either towards ring games or towards tournaments.

      How did you go about choosing which type of poker and which type of games you would focus on? Did it come naturally or did you actually put some effort and thought into selecting an area to specialise in and improve your game as much as possible? And what would you advise a beginner about this? Would it be as simple as "try everything and see for yourself"?
  • 16 replies
    • boomshackalack
      boomshackalack
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.09.2009 Posts: 19
      Hi, well I am a silver level too so I don’t know if I count as a more experienced player than you but I do specialise so I will try and help you out.

      Ok I can’t speak for every single one of them, but most the pro’s I have read about do seem to specialise, why not when you rule at one kind of game I suppose.

      I chose fixed limit full ring cash games, why? Because I found I won on it more for starters! But also I like the little element of control I can use by calling an opponent down rather than having to call a much bigger bet I might not want to pay with my hand (assuming I think I still could be ahead, just not sure enough to raise).

      So my advice is obvious, what do you win at? (Assuming your aim is money, if not, what do you most like to play would be the question). What do you feel more comfortable playing? (like I said, I like the small element of pot control FL gives me). And yes try everything if you want, but you probably won’t get to do everything nearly enough to see if you are genuinely notably better at one than another, so just see if you like one and feel comfortable playing it as said above and try doing that alone.

      Did it come naturally? Well if it did then great, but you still need to work your arse off to become a good winning player, if it didn’t come naturally, then you would have to do the same, plus much much more, if humanly possible.

      Advise would be, read, practice, read, watch videos, practice, go to coaching, read and practice! Then do it all over again!

      And one last thing, there are girls on this site?? What is this shit!?! lol

      Hope I helped.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.07.2009 Posts: 754
      i'll just say that the legend twicet said that you should play all kinds of poker because even if its not your main game and you dont profit much, it does help your main game if you play all others

      and i think its obvious that you shud try all of them and pick what you enjoy most cuz thats when you'll be motivated to study it, learn it, live it :)
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.09.2008 Posts: 6,838
      testing
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.01.2009 Posts: 1,938
      Im a specialist cause i dont like to sit down at a table/game and see that im worse than the players around me
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.04.2009 Posts: 1,755
      Just started with no limit because it was the most popular really. Plus i like it the most. Omaha looks interesting but probably even harder to learn and more confusing cause people can have WAY more outs then in Holdem.

      Haven't looked into other games.. Limit is just NO :D That's just not poker if you ask me. No offense to limit players.. It just ruins the game for me. No limit is fun because there is no limit, you can go broke in 1 hand. 1 mistake and it's over. I've played a lil badugi.. kinda fun. I can't see people making a living from playing it though. Haven't looked into stud or deuce 7 draw or w/e all the others are called. I may look into them when i'm more experienced.
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.01.2010 Posts: 238
      Thanks for your replies everyone!

      Originally posted by boomshackalack
      I chose fixed limit full ring cash games, why? Because I found I won on it more for starters! But also I like the little element of control I can use by calling an opponent down rather than having to call a much bigger bet I might not want to pay with my hand (assuming I think I still could be
      I think it must also depend on each player's personality. Those who were attracted to poker because of the large final-table prizes they see on TV are probably hoping that they too can make a lot of money very quickly and would probably go for large NL MTTs, whereas those who are more risk-averse and are looking for a steady income would go for ring games and would be more willing to try FL. (Of course, if you were really risk-averse you wouldn't be playing poker in the first place. :rolleyes: )

      Leito99, I totally agree. I like how Lederer and Hansen make the case for trying both NL and FL in this video (filmed in late 2005).
    • Funkyquartz
      Funkyquartz
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.04.2010 Posts: 33
      Originally posted by boomshackalack
      Hi, well I am a silver level too so I don’t know if I count as a more experienced player than you but I do specialise so I will try and help you out.

      Ok I can’t speak for every single one of them, but most the pro’s I have read about do seem to specialise, why not when you rule at one kind of game I suppose.

      I chose fixed limit full ring cash games, why? Because I found I won on it more for starters! But also I like the little element of control I can use by calling an opponent down rather than having to call a much bigger bet I might not want to pay with my hand (assuming I think I still could be ahead, just not sure enough to raise).

      So my advice is obvious, what do you win at? (Assuming your aim is money, if not, what do you most like to play would be the question). What do you feel more comfortable playing? (like I said, I like the small element of pot control FL gives me). And yes try everything if you want, but you probably won’t get to do everything nearly enough to see if you are genuinely notably better at one than another, so just see if you like one and feel comfortable playing it as said above and try doing that alone.

      Did it come naturally? Well if it did then great, but you still need to work your arse off to become a good winning player, if it didn’t come naturally, then you would have to do the same, plus much much more, if humanly possible.

      Advise would be, read, practice, read, watch videos, practice, go to coaching, read and practice! Then do it all over again!

      And one last thing, there are girls on this site?? What is this shit!?! lol

      Hope I helped.
      Im a Girl!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.10.2008 Posts: 5,255
      Originally posted by Funkyquartz
      Im a Girl!
      Oh hi there!
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.12.2008 Posts: 599
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by Funkyquartz
      Im a Girl!
      Oh hi there!
      lol
    • sk345di
      sk345di
      Global
      Joined: 07.05.2009 Posts: 225
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by Funkyquartz
      Im a Girl!
      Oh hi there!
      Use your timing skilz on having position on the fish
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.10.2008 Posts: 5,255
      I can do it in all possible positions
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Joined: 18.03.2008 Posts: 3,323
      you don't choose the game, when you are ready the game will choose you
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.08.2009 Posts: 1,984
      this is not soviet russia
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.01.2009 Posts: 1,938
      Originally posted by ihufa
      you don't choose the game, when you are ready the game will choose you
      this :s_cool:
    • cataah
      cataah
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.11.2009 Posts: 3,060
      Originally posted by ihufa
      you don't choose the game, when you are ready the game will choose you
      I like this
      And you know what? I think you're right.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.04.2009 Posts: 413
      Originally posted by oblitron
      And what would you advise a beginner about this? Would it be as simple as "try everything and see for yourself"?