Privacy Issue

• Deardo1
      Deardo1
      Basic
      Is it just me or is asking for colour copies of our identification documents a bit of an invasion of our privacy. Especially since of all the listed acceptable options a photo id is required.

Sure if it was a credit card identity check that would be fine, we would still be protected from identity theft via the CVC number located on the back of the card.

But both my passport and drivers licencse in Australia clearly not only show my full name, DOB and picture, it shows address and most importantly our signature. Its one thing to have an identity check, but what this is asking is just a plain recipe guranteed for someone at some point to have their identity stolen.

How do we know that your site is really secure, anyone who believes that you can 100% gurantee that our highly personal information will not be tampered with at some point needs their head examined.

And to top if off, if your really deleting the data after examination, what exactly are you going to be cross checking future data with to stop multiple accounts be created, thus you must be collecting our data.

why exactly does it need to be photo identification?
  • 13 replies
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Hello Deardo1,

There are a couple of reasons that we have ID checks which protect our players.
      1. The ID check confirms that you are at least 18 years old and are receiving starting capital from PokerStrategy.com for the first time.
      2. It is in everyone's interest to prevent multiple registrations by players and registration by minors.

You can find more information about the ID check at the link below:

Many people in this community have passed the ID check and I am sure they will help you as well if you want.

Kind Regards,
      Toby
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      if you dont want ID check, dont get the free capital. how simple can this get?
    • Deardo1
      Deardo1
      Basic
      wow did you both just read the subject title and then respond?

Its not the id check i'm concerned about, if your going to respond atleast take the time to read the valid points made...

My overall point, for those who can't take the time to read more than a few words is that an alternate id check be made availabe for those out there like me who are not comfortable with providing all the details to steal our identity?
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      alternative to an ID check means you want something else other than an ID check. which comes back to the point, if you don't want an ID check, then don't get the free starting capital! i don't think there is going to be a way around this, or they would have already implemented it. why don't you suggest instead?
      if you're going to foot the bill in a restaurant with a credit card, you're going to have to pass them your credit card, by which they could easily take your credit card details and spend the money online. but you can choose to pay cash. point being if you want to enjoy credit facilities, u have to deal with the risk. if u want to have free starting capital from a site you dont really trust, deal with the risk!
    • Deardo1
      Deardo1
      Basic
      Do you even know how the security of a credit card works? Have you ever wondered why those little numbers on the back arn't indented......its so scammers can't take an indent of your card and use it to purchase items. The CVC/CVV number generally the last 3-4 digits on a credit card is required for online purchases....but wait for it....only the credit card number is used to identify the account.

So back to my point why not implement a non-invasive method of checking our identity? Instead of collecting every shed of information about you. While this site may be legit some of its methods may not be, such as when talking about different methods of sending your data they suggest posting a scan of your drivers license on an image hosting site....for every one to see. Don't believe me? Follow the link provided by the admin above.

If you think that you may need more information to steal an indentity your wrong, with the advances in our tax systems all you need these days is 100 points of identity and any item that you may have earned interest on throughout the finacial year such as term deposits, shares and bank accounts, the details become freely available to you without question, details such as account numbers, statements and billing addreses.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Deardo1
      wow did you both just read the subject title and then respond?

Its not the id check i'm concerned about, if your going to respond atleast take the time to read the valid points made...

My overall point, for those who can't take the time to read more than a few words is that an alternate id check be made availabe for those out there like me who are not comfortable with providing all the details to steal our identity?
      I read your post and I replied to your question on the last line of the post. Regardless of the type of ID check it is still going to have information which is needed to verify your identity. There is not really any alternative if you do not wish to submit that information.
    • Deardo1
      Deardo1
      Basic
      No alternative check....do you not own a credit card? visa, mastercard these words mean nothing to you???
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Mate,

lot's of things you do this days put you at risk, as mentioned above. if you want to have such credit facilities there must be an implied amount of trust required.

When I go to the pub they usually get my card, go get their POS wherever it is and then return to me for the transaction, in that moment they could simply copy my relevant details or even clone my card.

I went to the bank to open an account and they wanted to see my ID which I gave them, the employer that performed the operation has then access to all of my information

To verify my ID on Stars I gave them my driving license which they verified through the DVLA.

When I exchanged my Italian licence for a British one I've had to send by post both my original Italian licence and my original ID.

So, every time you are giving away a piece of your information, but you do it only to who you judge has your trust.

In the case of PokerStrategy they need to verify your identity, in order to do so they ask your ID, here's the point, you trust them to handle your data confidentially?

I'm no PS employee, so take it for what it is, a satisfied customer. I trust them.
      There are millions of user on this site who's done the same choice and to this date nobody ever reported a scam.

Your choice on what to do ;)
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Deardo1
      No alternative check....do you not own a credit card? visa, mastercard these words mean nothing to you???
      These do not easily verify your identity. It also means that you would need to pay PokerStrategy so that they can see the information on the credit card. It kind of defeats the object of a starting capital.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Originally posted by degre
      Mate,

lot's of things you do this days put you at risk, as mentioned above. if you want to have such credit facilities there must be an implied amount of trust required.

When I go to the pub they usually get my card, go get their POS wherever it is and then return to me for the transaction, in that moment they could simply copy my relevant details or even clone my card.

I went to the bank to open an account and they wanted to see my ID which I gave them, the employer that performed the operation has then access to all of my information

To verify my ID on Stars I gave them my driving license which they verified through the DVLA.

When I exchanged my Italian licence for a British one I've had to send by post both my original Italian licence and my original ID.

So, every time you are giving away a piece of your information, but you do it only to who you judge has your trust.

In the case of PokerStrategy they need to verify your identity, in order to do so they ask your ID, here's the point, you trust them to handle your data confidentially?

I'm no PS employee, so take it for what it is, a satisfied customer. I trust them.
      There are millions of user on this site who's done the same choice and to this date nobody ever reported a scam.

Your choice on what to do ;)
      +1
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      Hey Deardo1,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com.

We really appreciate your feedback about different methods for ID checks.
      I have taken it and forwarded it internally.

But let me also reassure you that we indeed handle the documents send in to us, with the utmost confidentiality.
      Keep in mind, we give out $50 for free. For that we ask you to proof that you are not a minor and we want to make sure that anyone only gets the starting capital once.

Please note: The link to the ID Check site used by TobyCS seems to be an outdated, that new users actually shouldn't come across during registration.
      This is the new and improved version of it: ID Check
      There, you can upload your documents for the ID Check directly to our server, but only if you are asked to do so.

After our security team checks the documents by only looking at them, they are being deleted.
      Imagine someone checking your papers, and then makes a cross near a box that says: [x] confirmed.

At the end of the day, it is really up to you. But we can assure you that we do take your privacy really serious.

But, if you are still hesitant, the ID Check & the free starting capital is not necessarily needed to use PokerStrategy.com. We are a poker school and we have more to offer than the $50 starting capital. Make use of the bonuses we offer on our partner rooms and make a deposit yourself ans start collection strategy points.
      Check out the rewards system. Unlock new content designed to help you on your way to become a better poker player.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
    • LarryHagman
      LarryHagman
      Bronze
      How will I know that my details have been confirmed?

Will I receive an email from PS or do I just have to keep checking the ID page?
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      Hey Larry,

No worries, your starting capital has been already transferred. You should get in fact get a notification after the transfer to the poker room of your choice has been triggered.