Stacks:
      UTG (€11.53)
      Hero (€18.21)
      CO (€9.34)
      BTN (€11.51)
      SB (€9.44)
      BB (€10)

Pre-Flop: (€0.15, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1 J:diamond: J:spade:
      1 fold, Hero raises to €0.40, 2 folds, SB raises to €1, 1 fold, Hero calls €0.60

Flop: 4:spade: Q:spade: 7:diamond: (€2.10, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: 5:club: (€2.10, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets €1.20, SB raises to €3, Hero calls €1.80

River: 8:heart: (€8.10, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Villain is 23/7 over 30 hands.

The 3bet I'm flatting as I'm IP and to keep worse hands in.
      His flop check might be a trap, so I check behind for safety, to avoid a c/r.
      Once he checks the turn it's pretty obvious he doesn't have a monster hand, else he would bet for value imo, that's why I'm not afraid of his c/r and just call it.
      River I check behind because I don't think worse hands will pay me off or better hands will fold.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You're not really trying to avoid a check/raise from a monster on the flop, bet/folding will probably end up being cheaper than calling one bet from him quite often which most people will do. If you bet and get raised by a monster it just means you're 2-outing at best and you have no business being in the pot, we're not sad to fold our hand by any means. What you're trying to avoid is getting check/raised by a worse hand like a draw if he's capable of doing that, since you can't call the check/raise and folding against those hands would theoretically be mistake. So I like the check back, just make sure you did it for the right reasons to have a clear picture of those situations. In a nutshell, risking to be check/raised off the worse hand that has virtually no outs when behind is not a good enough argument not to bet if it's likely you end up losing one bet anyway.

As played on the turn I don't really mind you bet/calling tho you will encounter level 0 thinkers in such spots somewhat regularly. "ahah, i'm going to check/raise my AA. damn he checked behind, well I don't care I'm still going to check/raise. check/raising is sexy!". Also even if he's bluffing you're putting yourself in a situation where JJ is a pure bluff-catcher and he might fire another bet with his bluffs on the river, which you need to be ready to call if you give villain credit to be aggressive enough to pull something like that.

Hope it helps.