Stack
      SB:
      $14.03
      Hero:
      $2.26
      CO:
      $4.22

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T:spade: , T:diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.07, CO calls $0.07, BU folds, SB calls $0.06, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.23) 9:diamond: , J:club: , 6:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.14, CO raises to $0.35, SB folds, Hero calls $0.21.

Turn: ($0.93) A:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.93

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of tens (Ts Td)

Hero wins with a pair of tens (Ts Td)

On the flop when he raises me, I'm thinking he most likely has hit the J. He maybe called preflop with something like KJs, QJ, JT. I thought J9 may be in his range too, but was more unlikely. I also felt that he would maybe have just called and hoped to get me to 2nd barrel before raising if he had 2 pair as the board isn't very drawy?

I therefore decided to call his raise with the plan of betting any overcard.

Is this play OK or is it -EV as the turn card is more likely to be an undercard rather than over?

And if the turn was something lower than a J, what should I do then?

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      I would just fold on the flop. There are less combo of drawing hands he can have since you have blockers to the OESD. Plus many players won't raise with draws for fear of getting bet out of the pot and giving up their equity. He often has like JJ or maybe some poorly played pre QQ+.

You just have to accept that he can be bluffing here sometimes but your hand and position simply isn't strong enough to fight back. You're also not getting the odds to bet on any overcard and even if you were he would have to fold every over which simply won't happen imo.

Just give up - at NL2 there is no need to even think about doing anything other than mucking this when you are raised on the flop.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by amplifyd
      I would just fold on the flop. There are less combo of drawing hands he can have since you have blockers to the OESD. Plus many players won't raise with draws for fear of getting bet out of the pot and giving up their equity. He often has like JJ or maybe some poorly played pre QQ+.

You just have to accept that he can be bluffing here sometimes but your hand and position simply isn't strong enough to fight back. You're also not getting the odds to bet on any overcard and even if you were he would have to fold every over which simply won't happen imo.

Just give up - at NL2 there is no need to even think about doing anything other than mucking this when you are raised on the flop.
      This mostly. If for some reason you believe you opponent is bluffing there often enough to warrant you fighting back even out of position, pick a hand that has a least some equity, like KQ or even A9 that has 5-outs against Jx. TT is 2-outing against any made hand, which makes it that much more difficult to continue with it profitably.

Hope it helps.