This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH- AJo BU

• Jeffers16
      Jeffers16
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4.21
      BB:
      $2.02
      CO:
      $14.17
      Hero:
      $2.11

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:club: , J:diamond:
      CO calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) 3:club: , 8:club: , 4:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, CO bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds.

Turn: ($0.28) J:heart: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.20, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.28

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of jacks (Ac Jd)

Hero wins with a pair of jacks (Ac Jd)

CO had been limping or raising nearly every hand. I had been raising his limps quite a lot with good results as he had been folding nearly everytime and I had been picking up a few pots preflop as the blinds were folding quite easily.

Now on this hand I had raised him the previous 3 times (when he had limped) I think, so I was not sure what to do here as AJ was probably the best hand I had had in this situation. I was worried if I raised him again he might reraise and I would be unsure what to do in that situation. I wouldn't know if he was just fed up or had actually had a hand this time and had just been limping to bait me into raising. Should I still raise preflop?

On the flop I don't think he has a set as he would probably have raised that preflop. Maybe he had hit the 8 or something. So is it OK to call the flop to bet any over card if he checks to me on the turn?

When I hit the turn what is the best way to get value from him? Could I check and induce a river bluff? As I think his check on the turn shows he probably doesn't have much or is it not worth letting him get a free card in case a K or Q comes on the river which he could hit?

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      I would raise pre even with what you said - if anything it just means he's going to stack off lighter - if he reraises I would just fold.

Flop I'd fold - you don't have great number of outs - and you can't be sure your bet every over plan will work (won't often at NL2) plus two left to act. Turn is a obvious value bet - don't bother trying to bluff induce pot is small anyway.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just isoraise preflop anyway, even if he's aggressive most players' first inclination will be to start calling raises instead of 3-betting. Even if he 3-bets you you have options, mostly you should probably just fold but if you're confident he's completely full of shit you can also jam on him and watch him fold. I wouldn't call too often since you'll miss the flop a lot and this player is definitely going to continue to fire into you.

Even if you end up folding it sets him up for losing a stack if you end up rolling a premium in the next orbit, just raise him again and flat the 3-bet with KK+ to let him continue to bluff off his air then call flop jam turn or plain jam the flop if it's ugly. Just 4-bet/call stuff like AK/QQ that will get more ugly flops than KK+.

Postflop is okay-ish, the flop float is dicey with 3 opponents but you do have 2 overcards and a nutted backdoor, since we're pretty sure the donker is sitting on complete airballs I don't hate the play.

Hope it helps.