$4.21
      BB:
      $2.02
      CO:
      $14.17
      Hero:
      $2.11

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:club: , J:diamond:
      CO calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) 3:club: , 8:club: , 4:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, CO bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds.

Turn: ($0.28) J:heart: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.20, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.28

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of jacks (Ac Jd)

Hero wins with a pair of jacks (Ac Jd)

CO had been limping or raising nearly every hand. I had been raising his limps quite a lot with good results as he had been folding nearly everytime and I had been picking up a few pots preflop as the blinds were folding quite easily.

Now on this hand I had raised him the previous 3 times (when he had limped) I think, so I was not sure what to do here as AJ was probably the best hand I had had in this situation. I was worried if I raised him again he might reraise and I would be unsure what to do in that situation. I wouldn't know if he was just fed up or had actually had a hand this time and had just been limping to bait me into raising. Should I still raise preflop?

On the flop I don't think he has a set as he would probably have raised that preflop. Maybe he had hit the 8 or something. So is it OK to call the flop to bet any over card if he checks to me on the turn?

When I hit the turn what is the best way to get value from him? Could I check and induce a river bluff? As I think his check on the turn shows he probably doesn't have much or is it not worth letting him get a free card in case a K or Q comes on the river which he could hit?

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      I would raise pre even with what you said - if anything it just means he's going to stack off lighter - if he reraises I would just fold.

Flop I'd fold - you don't have great number of outs - and you can't be sure your bet every over plan will work (won't often at NL2) plus two left to act. Turn is a obvious value bet - don't bother trying to bluff induce pot is small anyway.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just isoraise preflop anyway, even if he's aggressive most players' first inclination will be to start calling raises instead of 3-betting. Even if he 3-bets you you have options, mostly you should probably just fold but if you're confident he's completely full of shit you can also jam on him and watch him fold. I wouldn't call too often since you'll miss the flop a lot and this player is definitely going to continue to fire into you.

Even if you end up folding it sets him up for losing a stack if you end up rolling a premium in the next orbit, just raise him again and flat the 3-bet with KK+ to let him continue to bluff off his air then call flop jam turn or plain jam the flop if it's ugly. Just 4-bet/call stuff like AK/QQ that will get more ugly flops than KK+.

Postflop is okay-ish, the flop float is dicey with 3 opponents but you do have 2 overcards and a nutted backdoor, since we're pretty sure the donker is sitting on complete airballs I don't hate the play.

Hope it helps.