Short stack strategy - PartyPoker

• aleks244
      aleks244
      Bronze
      Hello,

I have 1 probably silly question, but I'm not sure.
      I decided to play short stack strategy at Partypoker.

At the strategy guide, it says that starting limit is NL10 with BI 2$.
      The only problem is that on NL10 tables minimum BI is 3,50$.
      So I adjusted to that, my BI is 3,50$, rebuy at 3$ and leave table at 4$.
      I hope the strategy will work that way.
      My bankroll is 120 $, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I would really appreciate some suggestions from more experienced players.
  • 13 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      it doesn't work well
    • aleks244
      aleks244
      Bronze
      More detailed explanation please?
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      It becomes less profitable to play like this. If you are going to play on partypoker pretty much just ignore what the pokerstrategy SSS says.

Keep most of the raising ranges and raise size. 4bb + 1 per limper.

AQ+ TT+ from early, go broke with AKs QQ+
      AJ+ 77+ from middle go broke with AK JJ+
      A9+ KQ KJs 66 from late, go broke with AQ+ 99+

Of course adjust to the players. Feel free to go broke with AQ from early if the player is bad enough.

I would buy in for $3.50, leave the table when you hit about $5.

Postflop, still go broke with hands like top pair or overpair. However if you have JJ and the flop comes Q94 then you should not go broke here. Bet/fold should be the best play.

Playing a short stack loses a lot of its power if you have to buy in for 35bb though. I would try to move to a site that still allows 20bb buyins.

edit: "It doesn't work well" is not a response that will help him.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Don't even bother, you can't play SSS in party...
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noclaninator
      It becomes less profitable to play like this. If you are going to play on partypoker pretty much just ignore what the pokerstrategy SSS says.

Of course adjust to the players. Feel free to go broke with AQ from early if the player is bad enough.

Postflop, still go broke with hands like top pair or overpair. However if you have JJ and the flop comes Q94 then you should not go broke here. Bet/fold should be the best play.

Playing a short stack loses a lot of its power if you have to buy in for 35bb though. I would try to move to a site that still allows 20bb buyins.

this piece of advice will help lose money. at least mine doesnt help in anyway :f_grin:
    • aleks244
      aleks244
      Bronze
      Heehh, ok guys, tnks for info.
      I need few more days to clear bonus at party, then I will maybe move to some other site.
      For now I'm 2 BI in plus using 35bb BI, but playing it only few days.
    • aleks244
      aleks244
      Bronze
      I was reading this thread: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=85343

It seems like all poker sites will close 20bb BI, not good
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      Originally posted by supeyrio

this piece of advice will help lose money. at least mine doesnt help in anyway :f_grin:
      Why not try typing something productive using that keyboard of yours. Also your posts suggest that you are a BSS player which means you shouldn't talk about what is profitable and unprofitable in SSS until you actually play it. I have made a few thousand playing SSS up to NL200. I have done some good math to come up with decent raising ranges and they have made me money. If I am wrong then it is your job to say so and to say WHY I am wrong so I can improve my game. One line posts don't make for good learning.
    • filmfredrik
      filmfredrik
      Bronze

Might I ask what you would do when someone else has already raised?

I assume we make a regular 3-bet here and don't just shove since we'll have around 40 BB and not 20? What kind of ranges? And what if they 4-bet us?
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      If someone raises then you have to estimate what they are raising with and raise a little less than half of that. EG: someone raises from MP then you might put them on AJ+ 77+ so you might reraise with AK JJ+ or AQs TT+ something like that. Of course it can be hard to estimate sometimes but it is hard to go wrong reraising AK+ JJ+ in this situation. If they are raising from the button then you can definitely reraise with like AJs+ 88+. This is where you must play the player. I can give you decent open raising ranges but once someone else has raised you have to figure out what they have.

Edit: I didn't even answer your question lol. I would make a "small" reraise. If they raised to 3bb then reraise to 8bb. If there is a raise to 3bb and a call then the best play would be to shove still. Stick to 3x + 1 per caller but if 3x + 1 is more than about 35% of your stack then I would shove. If it is close then you should make a smaller reraise so you can get away from the hand (or at least make it look like you can get away).
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      stop SSS
      learn poker

:P
    • darkrum18
      darkrum18
      Bronze
      umm, SSS works well on party poker.

you just have to buyin to the 20BB min tables. They are labelled ".5 .10 20 BB Min Speed Table#20349201"

avoid the 3.50 ones; there are usually enough to grind 9 tables of 20BB

also the "speed" tables aren't that fast, instead of 30+30 seconds
      you just get 10 seconds, which is tons of time to respond to a hand if you know how to play poker.

you could also play BSS at 2c.4c with 4$ with a 120$ BR

I'd also avoid the jackpot tables, they take a lot of rake, although winning the bad beat jackpot would be like OMGF$@*#($)#@(!)(!*@#! the chances are slim and it will affect your profit

Hope this helped!
    • aleks244
      aleks244
      Bronze
      tnks darkrum18, I saw 20BB min tables, but I don't know if SSS will work because max BI amount is 40BB ( 4$ ). Have to try it.

For now I have played over 2500 hands at normal tables, BI 35BB, rebuy at 3$, leave table over 4$, and I'm very satisfied.I'm over 20$ in plus.
      I play strictly to SSS chart.

I think that my adjusted SSS could work very well, at least at this limit because I see a lot of bad players. There are many guys that raise with "crap" cards such as T9,QT,QJ, and when I re-raise them with my premium cards( all-in ) they are following very often. In the long run, just when I take percentages in matter, I will go up.
      I will see the real picture after 50,000-100,000 hands, but I think that I could beat this limit this way.We'll see.