[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH- AJo SB

• Jeffers16
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , J:heart: . CO posts a blind of $0.02.
      MP2 raises to $0.04, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, Hero calls $0.03, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.14) 5:diamond: , K:spade: , Q:club: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.08, CO calls $0.08, Hero folds.

Turn: ($0.30) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.10, CO calls $0.10.

River: ($0.50) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.82 (All-In), CO calls $0.48 (All-In), MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.46

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows high card ace with king kicker (Jd Ah)
      CO shows a pair of kings (Kc Ts)

CO wins with a pair of kings (Kc Ts)

My question on this hand is mainly about the preflop play. I really wasn't sure what to do here, mainly due to both players being so short stacked. In a normal circumstance with 2 full stacked players I think I would 3bet something like 0.16 and fold to a raise. But with these 2 short stackers I just thought that the chance of one of them shoving was much higher meaning I would have to fold much more.

How should I adapt my play for short stackers in this kind of scenario?

Many thanks
  • 2 replies
    • amplifyd
      Imo there isn't much need to get fancy pre here - you just isolate yourself against better hands and I'd prefer to see a multiway pot with a hand that can flop big 2 pair + straights that I can stack with and so I don't want to reduce my implieds. I also don't want to play a 3b pot with this OOP.

On the flop I think I would call one time if they were fullstacked but against shortstackers I'd just fold.

I wouldn't really adapt my pre strategy against fullstackers either - I just think calling will keep the most fish in the pot and for the reasons i list above.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Even if it's only after 4 hands the villains here look quite loose so I'd definitely 3-bet for value in that spot if they were full-stacked. As it is I still think it's worth the try because I expect them to still call a lot more often than they jam in response to our reraise. If you believe otherwise then it's fine to just call so that you don't have to face a 4-bet. If villains look overall spazzy you can probably also find a 3-bet/call against CO's stack, it's higher variance but if there is any chance he goes nuts with stuff like A3 facing a reraise you'll still show a profit.

Hope it helps.