This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH- AJo SB

• Jeffers16
      Jeffers16
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.04
      MP2:
      $1.04
      CO:
      $0.70

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , J:heart: . CO posts a blind of $0.02.
      MP2 raises to $0.04, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, Hero calls $0.03, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.14) 5:diamond: , K:spade: , Q:club: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.08, CO calls $0.08, Hero folds.

Turn: ($0.30) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.10, CO calls $0.10.

River: ($0.50) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.82 (All-In), CO calls $0.48 (All-In), MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.46

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows high card ace with king kicker (Jd Ah)
      CO shows a pair of kings (Kc Ts)

CO wins with a pair of kings (Kc Ts)

My question on this hand is mainly about the preflop play. I really wasn't sure what to do here, mainly due to both players being so short stacked. In a normal circumstance with 2 full stacked players I think I would 3bet something like 0.16 and fold to a raise. But with these 2 short stackers I just thought that the chance of one of them shoving was much higher meaning I would have to fold much more.

How should I adapt my play for short stackers in this kind of scenario?

Many thanks
  • 2 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Imo there isn't much need to get fancy pre here - you just isolate yourself against better hands and I'd prefer to see a multiway pot with a hand that can flop big 2 pair + straights that I can stack with and so I don't want to reduce my implieds. I also don't want to play a 3b pot with this OOP.

On the flop I think I would call one time if they were fullstacked but against shortstackers I'd just fold.

I wouldn't really adapt my pre strategy against fullstackers either - I just think calling will keep the most fish in the pot and for the reasons i list above.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Even if it's only after 4 hands the villains here look quite loose so I'd definitely 3-bet for value in that spot if they were full-stacked. As it is I still think it's worth the try because I expect them to still call a lot more often than they jam in response to our reraise. If you believe otherwise then it's fine to just call so that you don't have to face a 4-bet. If villains look overall spazzy you can probably also find a 3-bet/call against CO's stack, it's higher variance but if there is any chance he goes nuts with stuff like A3 facing a reraise you'll still show a profit.

Hope it helps.