[NL2-NL10] AJ vs steal

Bronze
      Ok, villian is real pain in the ass 24/21/4/3b 8.3/fold3b 38(8)/fold 2cb 25(4)/in 3b pot 0(1)/steal 35

Don't khow what to do with AJo here. I was thinking about 3b for value. On the flop I chr for protection and fold equity, cause he bet vs miss cb always 100%(15). After call I think it is smt like 88-JJ, AQ, KQ. AK, QQ+ must 4b me pf. So on the turn I surrender, but his chk is strange. I think it AQ,KQ,JJ remains. I thought about shove, but now I see it couldn't be a great idea.

So how to play it better?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $11.07
      CO:
      $9.49
      BU:
      $14.90
      SB:
      $4.58
      BB (Hero):
      $10.15

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, A.
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.30, SB folds, Hero raises to $1.00, BU calls $0.70.

Flop: ($2.05) T, 8, Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.97, Hero raises to $2.50, BU calls $1.53.

Turn: ($7.05) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($7.05) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $3.35, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $7.05.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Preflop is fine, you should be doing great with AJ if he's calling so damn often. Plus he'll likely 4-bet AK so that's one less dominating hand to worry about. Wouldn't totally discount big pairs when he just calls tho, it kinda looks like he knows what he's doing so chances are if he calls with a lot of trash hands he'll flat premiums as well.

The flop is a pretty high variance spot. It should hit his range quite a bit and if you had a strong hand you shouldn't check/raise such a drawy board, so I wouldn't check/raise a gutshot either against a guy who has "I like you mess with people in position" written on his forehead.

I think the best play is just to c-bet in there regardless. I think he'll a lot more likely to flat with marginal pieces on that board than to try raising with pair+draw hands. It's good for two reasons: first we aren't that sad about bet/folding AJ-high if he does raise because he's probably ahead of us anyway and we're out of position, and second when he just calls he'll often have those 98/T9/TJ hands as well as random floats that can't stand multiple barrels on most turn cards, which opens up opportunities for us to continue firing at him. Of course he'll have Qx sometimes and just call with it as well but we still have some outs against all those hands so it's fine.

As played that turn card is terribad for us I wouldn't fire at it either unless I expect villain to be able to fold Qx to a shove, and honestly it's not happening against your weird flop check/raise line.

As played on the river it's hard to put villain on a pure float after he checked the turn. You'll sometimes encounter sly villains capable of taking that line to represent a valuebet better than by betting the turn and he might be one of them, but for most people at nl10 is think it's just a hand like QJ figuring it's now good enough to valuebet after you checked twice. One of those "I don't really see what he can call me with but I don't think I'm ever behind either so I'll let him decide what he wants to hero call with" valuebets.

Hope it helps.