[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Kq

• amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Both villians are good regs - wasn't really table selecting this session and so ended up playing good players which isnt rly great.

BTN is pretty aggro and I know he raises donkbets a lot - hence why I donked. Because if I ch/rai then i probably won't stack the hands I beat imo.
      His bet on the turn looked like some PP trying to squeeze some value out - and if I just call then he'll checkback the river so I thought I would ch/rai all in to try and make him lvl himself into a call.

Is there a better line to take?

$0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      5 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($11.36)
      CO ($10)
      BTN ($16.19)
      SB ($19.43)
      Hero ($10)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 5 players) Hero is BB K:diamond: Q:club:
      1 fold, CO raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: Q:spade: Q:diamond: 2:heart: ($0.95, 3 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, CO folds, BTN raises to $1.40, Hero calls $0.90

Turn: 7:club: ($3.75, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.75, Hero goes all-in $8.30, BTN calls $6.55
  • 2 replies
    • captainmono
      captainmono
      Bronze
      Obviously it was well played. Your turn check convinced him you were bluffing I guess, cause he called the shove.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by amplifyd
      Both villians are good regs - wasn't really table selecting this session and so ended up playing good players which isnt rly great.
      Depends what you're trying to achieve, relatively tough competition is good sometimes like right before you move up so you can make sure you can handle the aggression/variance involved in reg-on-reg violence before you move up to face increased aggression and increased variance.

As for the hand itself I would squeeze it preflop most of the time, I don't like to overcall with offsuit broadways out of position multiway, they don't play that well. It's plenty strong enough to handle a 3-bet pot however tho you'll sometimes get into weird situations where you flop TP2K and you know it's no good. It's also a hand I don't mind 5-bet jamming over people who 4-bet squeezes a lot, tho it's probably not a good idea at nl10 unless you're quite sure about him 4-bet bluffing often.

As played on the flop you're going with your read by donking which is good, that's how you learn. That said I'm gonna go on a limb here and say villain is probably a lot more likely to raise donkbets a lot when he's the preflop aggressor, rather then when he just called preflop. So his range is probably stronger for doing that as BU as if he was in CO's shoes. Alternate line when he does raise would be to simply make a small-medium 3-bet to make it look like a rebluff but I think it won't work as well on people at nl10, they just don't hand-read well enough and they'll default to thinking you've got a monster.

As played on the turn I just don't think he's valuebetting a random pocket pair that often since he shouldn't flat premiums too much preflop, and they'll never put you on a bluff when you check/shove so at that point, so I guess that means we'd better hope he has worse trips :p Since your initial read was that villain is liable to bluff-raise donkbets a lot with anything, I think you should focus on getting value out of his bluffs. You have two options imo:

1/ you just call the turn and take the risk of him giving up on the river with bluffs and the few pocket pairs he did bet with on the turn, since those weren't going to give us more value anyway against a turn check/jam. He will sometimes continue with his bluffs and and if he has something like worse trips he will shove the river anyway.

2/ you can force the action somewhat by making what looks like another blocking bet on the turn with a random pocket pair that just didn't believe the flop raise. Bet out for like ~$1.75 like he did and let him decide whether he wants to get cute on you by either calling/raising again with whatever pocket pair he raised the flop with or by raising again with complete air. Again, coolers will play out for stacks with that line as well regardless.

Hope it helps.