[NL2-NL10] Set on drawy flop, multiway pot

• Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 Pot-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $0.37
      CO:
      $0.63
      BU:
      $1.91
      SB:
      $8.13
      BB:
      $1.97
      UTG2:
      $1.57
      MP1 (Hero):
      $2.47
      MP2:
      $1.90

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9, 9.
      UTG2 calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, 5 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.07) 7, A, 9 (3 players)
      BB bets $0.07, UTG2 calls $0.07, Hero raises to $0.20, BB raises to $0.74, UTG2 calls $0.67, Hero raises to $1.72, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0.81.

Turn: ($4.08) K (2 players)

River: ($4.08) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.08.

BB 20/0 (30 hands)
      UTG2 64/7 (14 hands)

I think i played it good. The question is would it have been ok to just call when BB 3bet? It wouldn't be reasonable cause he showed that he wants to play to the end?
      And on what hands would you put BB?
      As UTG played, i put him on flush/straight draw or Ax.
  • 2 replies
    • AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi,

nh! Except: Please isoraise UTG2 to 0,10$.

You can't flat BB's 3-bet on flop, because UTG2 calls. You need to protect your hand against possible straight/flush draws. Keep in mind, that you play against TWO ranges here. I'd never assume, that BB will ever fold after he showed so much strength.
      I can't imagine what hand (other than a bluff) could possibly play like that on flop: potdonk/raise after someone squeezes/fold to shove??
      Maaaybe BB has sth like A9, A7 but then his 3-bet is baaad, because I'd shove it over with T8s as well.
      UTG2 looks bad, so I guess he either has Ax or a draw, which would suit very well to his play.

Best regards,
      Anin
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Raise preflop most of the time, tho it can get ugly sometimes given the few shortstacks behind you and all. Like one of them shoves and UTG coldcalls, now what? Either we see a flop 3-way knowing we'll flop overcards all the time or we have to felt 99 preflop, both options quite unappealing.

On the flop just shove it in, like AninIII said you're possibly playing against two draws and by calling you set yourself up to make mistakes on several levels: if they draws get there you're committed to calling it off bad, if they don't get there you risk your opponent check/folding figuring they only have one card for their draws now and you miss value.

As for what BB was doing that with, I doubt he takes that bet/3bet/fold line with a draw, it happens a lot less often than bet/3bet/call and bet/call lines. Either he was complete full of shit or he info-raised a random top pair. He's not folding two pairs there ever.

Hope it helps.