[NL2-NL10] NL10:AK - flop = KQJ

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with A, K.
      Hero raises to $0.40, 4 folds, CO calls $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.65) J, Q, K (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.40, CO folds, BU calls $1.40, BB folds.

Turn: ($4.45) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BU raises to $7.89, Hero calls $4.89.

River: ($20.23) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.23.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings(As Kh).
      BU shows two pairs, kings and queens(Kd Qc).

BU wins with two pairs, kings and queens(Kd Qc).

Well, people tend to cold call preflop with hands like KQ; KJ, QJ aso. a lot. That made me struggle with my decision on turn a lot. And still, I have no idea if I played it right.. I did have outs, you know!
  • 2 replies
    • captainmono
      fold against the all in.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Again hard to say if you don't know anything about the guys you're playing against.

In a vacuum I just think it's awkward that he didn't raise the flop if he has a strong hand unless he has a made straight, so getting those odds I'd probably end up calling it off against anybody I don't perceive as a passive player, since you'll sometimes see random (combo)draws that went all "damn I can't call with those odds, but I can shove!" or "hey what the hell I need to go anyway, let's gamble." on you.

Result-wise I'd make a note that he slowplays/wait for a blank turn on drawy flops with strong hands, so that I don't discount that from his range too much the next time around just because he didn't raise the flop.

Hope it helps.