SNG strategy?

• DomenViBritannia
      DomenViBritannia
      Bronze
      OK I've really been on a bad run lately with Poker, so I had to re-think the strategy for SNG's, wich is quite different than Cash games strategy.

If I am correct, bold and easy plays are to be used, if I have a hand I raise or even call pre-flop, if I hit two pair or more I can go all-in.

Basically, if I hit on the flop I go all-in (90% of the time) with two pair or more and if it is a ragged board. There isn't much playing around with SNG's like in cash games, or any fancy plays.

Or how is it you people play SNG's?
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Tight and go for max value in early stage, very tight in middle but I personally like to steal more IP if I have a decent stack and in the late stage it's just push or fold. Bronze articles cover it pretty well just browse them a little and watch some videos.

Only the late or middle to late stages are close to some parts of the SSS where you try to get it in with TP decent kicker or 3bet shove some hands.
    • Timo
      Timo
      Bronze
      Hey DomenViBritannia,

unfortunately this is the wrong forum. This forum is for feedback concerning the content that is offered by PokerStrategy.com.

If you want to discuss the strategy of specific gametypes, you should post in our dedicated Strategy Discussion Forums, that are offered for each gametype. You will find plenty people who are happy to discuss the strategies with you.

I have moved this thread into the Basic SnG Strategy Discussion Forum for you.

Regards,
      Timo
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      SnG's are pretty simple. You play more or less tight in early on, PP are good if you hit a set, or maybe even suited connectors if you have like 4 or 5 limpers which happens often at the lower limits and when there's 5 or more ppl in the pot someones paying you off almost all the time. Midstages you have to get really tight basicly AQ+ and jj+ more or less.

Most important thing in sgns is push of fold stage. To get a good feeling for it you really gotta put in the volume and study some hand ranges and stuff like that. You got basic pushing hands chart in strategy forum but that pretty basic. You can play around on http://www.holdemresources.net and ICM trainer you can download from PS.
    • DomenViBritannia
      DomenViBritannia
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice.

I have been using ICM trainer, although many times I find it strange with what cards one pushes, but nevertheless got a better feeling.

And definitely, tight play is what one should do and only play on when the flop hits 2 pair +.

And the push or fold stage is indeed important since if one doesn't gather enough chips before three are left he's in that bad spot, I don't like it personally since people call me with hands I don't even limp in.

My AK got beat by 63o, when I pushed all in pre-flop. Imagine that. :)