[NL20-NL50] NL50 AJ backraise vs squeeze in blindbattle

• vonki

I would prefer if Caltabiano could evaluate my hands as he is my private coach too, but that is only an preference and if it's not possible I'm fine with that too.

$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

UTG kawq ($58.05)
      UTG+1 geneg911 ($56.15)
      CO Ky6bIwKa ($52.30)
      BTN raisinghoesing1 ($50)
      SB Hero ($50)
      BB Dieight ($57.55)

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is SB J:diamond: A:club:
      3 folds, raisinghoesing1 raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.25, Dieight raises to $6.50, raisinghoesing1 folds, Hero raises to $14.50

I'm finding out the hard way why not to call in SB vs BU/CO raises, but in this case I decided to backraise because the BB (a reg who plays 21/18/8 over 350 hands) actually 3bets ~15-20% in the blinds, and had a 100% fold to 3bet, and had'nt 4bet a single time so I reckoned he would fold alot vs my backraises too here. Apart from that I block some aces and jacks.

Is the move okay to begin with? What about my raising size? Is it okay to fold once he shoves?
  • 1 reply
    • caltabiano

Yeah, I don't like calling AJo there. Our range for flatting on the SB should be pretty narrow actually, because it's such a bad position to be in and we're not getting as good odds as we do from the BB.
      Against aggressive squeezers in the bb, we should only flat hands we're willing to backshove.

And I usually don't back 4b, I just back shove my entire range. I don't wanna give him the chance to bluff shove me with QJ or something.

Even though our back raising range will be ahead of something like KQ, it is much better to take it down pre-flop, instead of being on the good side of a coin flip.

So, when there's an aggressive squeezer on the BB, you can flat [22+, AQ+] and just back shove it in his face =)

Stuff like KJ, AJ, AT should be a 3b or fold.

Even if the BB isn't an active squeezer, it's still not so great to flat these hands, because he'll be getting such a great price he can call pretty much anything and then you're in a horrible position post flop, where you're bound to make many mistakes when you're behind and you won't extract much when you're ahead.

And yeah, if he shoves, I'd just fold. Unless you're sure he's gonna bluff shove a lot. If he's shoving a loose, but solid range (TT+,AQ+), you're totally crushed.