Playing against raise monsters

• JamieFinch
      JamieFinch
      Bronze
      I keep on coming up against players whose only strategy seems to be to raise, even when their hands are less than average or just plain crap.

Because of this I keep finding myself folding early even with a fairly good/good hand because I don't want to get involved in a raise-fest unloess I have AA, KK etc.

How do I deal with these kind of players?
  • 7 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      reraise
    • JamieFinch
      JamieFinch
      Bronze
      OK. But then would I not find myself taking a big risk without the hand to back it up.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
    • JamieFinch
      JamieFinch
      Bronze
      Somehow I suspect that these people will not respond to anything.

However, I accept that I am a complete noob and know little to nothing so I shall give it a go.

Thanks.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello JamieFinch and welcome to pokerstrategy!

Please forgive NightFrostaSS, he tends to try to be amusing quite often but means no harm ;) .

The reason why people have not responded to your thread is that it is still a bit early and forums are busier later on in the afternoon.

Regarding your question, you should follow the starting hand charts which can be found here (if you're talking about BSS). Later on when you study and develop your game and perhaps start using a tracking program, you will be able to make better decisions, but the starting hand charts cover the preflop play very well for starters.

Best regards,

Primzi
    • JamieFinch
      JamieFinch
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply Primzi.

When I mentioned people not responding to anything, I meant the people (raise monsters) on the tables not responding to any tactic (or any stumuli for that matter). I wasn't referring to this forum :D

Anyway. I have being trying to follow the shc but find myself constantly folding whilst waiting for good hands, which don't come about that often.

Whilst doing this it appears as though my funds are slowly dwindling away when playing blinds, whilst not even seeing the flop to get an opportunity to win anything.

Perhaps I should try and be more patient?
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      I guess you are playing on a low level....

On those tables there are a lot of people playing very tight.

You will find that more experienced players will look at the table make-up and if they see that everyone is waiting for good hands they will raise with marginals hands

If it works they will continue to do so and in time will raise with any old rubbish and from any position.

I use this tactic a lot on tight tables and can turn a decent profit - with the advantage that when I get a monster I am more likely to be paid off! (whereas if you play really tight most people will fold when you enter a hand!)

A secondary tactic when called is to strongly bet on the flop irrespective of what cards flop - that tends to get rid of the tight players unless they have a monster.

However, as you are a newcomer just follow Primzi's advice and grind it out (and try not to let variance get you down when your AA are beaten by some lucky flop!)