Bankroll Management Question

• ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      I have a question about bankroll management. I currently play with NL10 SH on BetFred poker. I started with 250 dollars on NL10 and have dropped down to 130 [Only played 5k hands so was due to mostly bad beats] I said I would move down to NL5 if I go down to 100 dollars. I played abit more and my bankroll is going back up and is currently at 186 dollars.

I am curious when I dropped as low as 130 should I have dropped limits? or was I right sticking to it untill I reached 100 dollars. Because the rule says you need 25 buy ins to play at a limit, however if I lose 2 stacks I am below 25 BI, does that mean I should drop down limits any amount under 25 BI or drop down when I have 25BI for the lowest limit. This is kind of confusing.

[PS I am loving TwiceT videos on NL 10 SH, they have certainly helped me fix a few leaks in my game. I recommend to anyone playing the lower limits]
  • 10 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Bankroll management is a very personal thing, some people feel comfortable with 20bi bankrolls and moving up/down frequently while others don't feel good playing with 100bi bankrolls. It's all about how risk tolerant you are and if you can afford going broke.

Another very important factor about when to move down/up is your confidence, if after dropping your BR to 130$ you did lose your confidence, then yes, it would've been better to move down, but if not, then no problem.

For microstakes imo using aggressive bankroll management is the way to go in order to move up as fast as possible to SSNL so i see no problem with the way you managed it so far.

When i started out the recommended BRM minimum was 20bi btw. ;)
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      When you said SSNL you ment short stacked? I play BSS :) I've actually been playing poker for a couple of years...Never took it seriously, but I am mostly a SNG player. I am new to cashgames so instead of skipping to NL200 I wanna beat the limits:) Or atleast make 25BI for the limit ahead before progressing.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Nah, i meant Small Stakes No Limit, that's nl100+. :) If you have some experience, using aggressive bankroll management is even better imo. 20 or 25bi for micros seems completely fine to me. :)
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Hehe cheers matey:) I might make a blog so I can track the progress...I estimate in one month I should be ready for NL50. Let's see how it goes, hopefuly all will go well...I have another question I am thinking about getting holdem manager..Do you think it is worth getting it for now, I am close to unlocking enough points for the Elephent. Can you tell me if the elephent what the elephent is used for? Does it have a hud?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Yeah, sure, making a blog is a good way to track your progress/motivate yourself etc. :) I didn't use Elephant much but yeah it has a hud. As for holdem manager, if you gonna buy it from your poker BR then i guess using elephant for a while is better. I'm not really sure how much differs current HEM from newest Elephant, there are trials for both, just try it out and pick one you like.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Can you use Elephant on BetFred Poker? Same question for HEM
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I did use HEM when played on Betfred so yes for HEM, and even tho i didn't try elephant on it, i'm sure you can use it here too.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Hmm, I just installed Elephant and it is finding all the other sites but not BetFred, I guess you can't use it on BetFred. They should fix this :(
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Well according to this thread: Betfred FAQ

• What tracking software can I use at Betfred?

Elephant, Holdem Manager or Pokertracker 3. Pretty much all tracking programs available on the market.

So Elephant should work, not sure why it doesn't. :)
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Hmm, well i've turned the Elephant on and the poker software as administrator, According to what i've read, it is suppose to track it automatically, this hasn't happened to I am assuming that it doesn't track it on betfred :) Also on the home page on elephant software it shows the supported clients, and betfred isn't there...so I dunno :( would be very helpful to have these stats so I could know the VPIP without having to try focus at every single person on 4 tables.