[NL2-NL10] Could i have got more value?

• SamBurton5
      Known players:   

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.83 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:heart: , A:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.15, 2 folds, SB raises to $0.45, BB folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.95) 8:spade: , 6:diamond: , 2:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65.

Turn: ($2.25) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.15, Hero raises to $4.15 (All-In), SB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $4.55

If i didnt shoved and called would this have been a better move to induce him to bluff the river?
  • 2 replies
    • tcs35
      Hello SamBurton5,

When posting hands try some detailed information such as your reads from previous hands against the villains or stats which have been generated with your tracking software.

Pre-Flop: I think I like raising 4x heads up because I think he calling different ranges. When he 3bets you have to 4bet for value there is no reason to slow play AA like that.

Flop: Raise this flop. He is going to go broke with over pairs and other hands you beat.

Turn: As played the turn is fine but I don't really like your line you took in the previous streets

Hope this helps

Kind Regards,
    • MaestroOfZerg

Depends what you put villain on preflop.

The more out of line he is with his 3-betting the more often he has complete airballs when he does that, the more merit there is to just calling and let him bluff postflop when you have a hand that always flops at least an overpair. This also dictates your postflop line of giving him the chance to continue on bluffing as long as the board stays safe. Exception to that is if you have reasons to believe a flop raise would look full of shit on your part as well, in which case it's likely best to just make a small raise and let him shove whatever AQ hand he has over. So with the right reads I don't mind your line, just make sure your reasons for flatting preflop are based on his range and not on some "ahah let's slowplay" mantra.

That said, more often than not people won't 3-bet SBvsMP with garbage without history and you're better off 4-betting hoping to cooler his ass right away preflop. It prevents stuff like QQ from seeing a flop with overcards or AK from whiffing the flop completely.

Hope it helps.