Grinding the Micros.

• SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      I recently made a blog called 'Sit n Go' grind and after playing around one hundred sit n gos i made a very small profit of around $10, i found that playing this many sit n gos for such small profit wasnt worth it for these reasons:

-sit n gos simply bore me, not much skill needed and i dont learn much.

-cash games will give me much more rakeback which will help me build my roll.

-cash games are a lot funner and BSS (which i will be playing) needs a lot of skill and i will therefore learn as much as i can whilst building my roll

So i have decided to switch to BSS playing on full tilt. My roll is very small so it is going to be a grind. My roll is on $251 and i will start off by playing 0.02-0.05 limit. I am not sure on whether to play SH or FR any tips would be nice.

I also am setting some other goals:

-go to gym least 3 times a week.
      -get fit and train for when football season kicks in.

My targets for long time:

-learn as much as i can through pokerstregy articles and videos.
      -build a roll where i can afford to have some coaching sessions.
      - build my roll to NL 100!

For now however i am just aiming to get to gold on poker strategy to read some more articles. etc, and to make sure i play minimum 1k hands a day.

Thanks for reading sorry if bored you! lol any tips would be great.
  • 11 replies
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      http://img248.imageshack.us/i/startgraph.png/

I have been playing SH and this how it went. Sorry i do not know how to get graphs on from elaphant.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      thats a big roll for 5NL. I suggest you start on 10NL instead if you are confident in your skills. whats your avg BB/100?

then again It may be sensible to do as you are doing. if you are averaging 12.5BB/100 or higher, I recommend starting on 10NL instead.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      i would say play short handed because you improve faster in that imo
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      at the moment its 13bb/hour but thats over a small range, and secondly i am playing NL5 to gain more confidence i havent been playing BSS for long and when i am ccomfortable i will move to NL10, i was just unsure on my bankroll management. thanks guys.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SamBurton5
      http://img248.imageshack.us/i/startgraph.png/

I have been playing SH and this how it went. Sorry i do not know how to get graphs on from elaphant.
      The image is fine, just if possible save it as JPG instead of PNG.

Also, once you upload to ImageShack, to the right you have a bunch of links, if you pick the one that says Forum and paste the code, you'll have the graph directly shown in the thread, like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As for your game, nice choice. If you don't feel confident with SNG and prefer cash that's the way to go. Doesn't matter what sort of game you play, it only matters that you like it :f_grin:

Good choice on the NL5 pick, you're actually rolled for NL10, but seems sensible if you're not confident to start a step below.
      In all honesty I don't believe ther's much of a difference in between the two and I'll suggest you move up soon enough, but stay as long as you believe is necessary.

Last but not least, SH is definitely more aggressive then FR so, in my opinion, you need to have a better knowledge of the game, that's up to you what you want to do, but if you're confident enough in your game to play SH, good luck with it mate, I'll be following.
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      thanks alot DEGRE, i will be updating regualrly with graphs which come up on the thread ;) will post hands for people to have look at and analyse with me.

i will be moving to NL 10 soon to just once i feel comfortable.
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      Played around 1k hands on NL10 today, my graph is very swingy at the moment need to sort out some leaks.

I am going to increase my PFR % and also stop completing the small blind, either folding or raising. These are just some leaks i found whilst talking to a fellow micro grinder :)

Heres a graph for my progress so far:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see very swingy but i will try to work on my leaks by reading some atricles and watchiing vids on PS

Will update tommorow.
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      Known players:   
      SB:
      $10.49
      Hero:
      $10

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.83 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:spade: , J:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.70) T:spade: , 7:spade: , 4:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.6, SB raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $5.00, SB raises to $10.19 (All-In), Hero calls $4.70 (All-In), SB gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Turn: ($20.10) T:heart:
      River: ($20.10) 3:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.10

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two-pair, jacks and tens (Js Jc)
      SB shows a full-house, sevens full of tens (7d 7c)

SB wins with a full-house, sevens full of tens (7d 7c)

Did i play this bad? Was it obvious he had set?
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      had the worst run of luck. i am down to $170 some plays by me may have been bad but for my aces to be beat 5 times in row by a set is pretty unlucky. i can not win one pot gonna lay off poker for rest of day pissing me off. prob wont play till get rakeback and we will se how i am doing then. :( :@
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      rough "safe" BRM rule to follow is like 30BI. Basically the amount of BI you'd like to go for can depend on how high is the variance (or however to call it) in your sessions. For instance, if you constantly have 10BI +/- swings in a session, you obviously won't use a 15BI BRM :P

So it all comes down to how much you feel comfortable with - not to put your money in danger due to running cold and also not playing with a BRM which makes you worry too much about losing big pots - because big pots come and go, suckouts happen all the time and the more they effect your bankroll the more likely it is they'll tilt you - that's my general assumption :P

-as for that hand with a set - it depends on players, not sure how it goes on FTP but generally on up to NL10 and such, when people make a strong raise - in vast majority of cases it means they've hit 2pair or a set. Only people you have to separate from this group is donks who do such moves with top pair because they perceive such hands as super strong - so if you're in hand vs them and they do it, you give them far less credit than to other players.

Same goes for other streets, if in that hand a guy just called the flop and then for no reason raised you on the turn, it so often means he slowplayed a strong flopped hand or hit 2pair/set on the turn, something funky like that :)

It costs you less to avoid rough spots until you can figure out who is just a nit and who is making moves on you or whatever. In general, people are afraid to put their money on a bluff, if they are passive and then suddenly donk bet river - watch out :P
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      after a bad first week i have finished the week on $210 which means i have lost around $47 dollars.

i need to find the leaks in my game, at the moment my laptop charger aint working so am gonna have to use the family computer.

i plan to buy holdem manager as believe its alot better than elephant.

Short Term Goals:

-Get gold status on PS to read more articles etc.
      -Find leaks in NL holdem game.

Will have to now play NL5 and am going to do this up to $250 or i may then follow a 30BI rule and not move up till on $300